Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ASHFORD, a parish in the hundred of Spelthorne, in the county of Middlesex, 2 miles to the E. of Staines. It is a station on the Richmond and Staines branch of the South Western railway, and is situated in a highly cultivated and wooded district. It was formerly a possession of Westminster Abbey, and afterwards a part of the honour of Hampton. Before the lands were enclosed, reviews were frequently held here. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London, value £136, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church which is dedicated to St. Matthew, was erected in 1858. There is a Welsh charity school for 200 children, founded in 1857. The building is of stone, in the Elizabethan style of architecture. There are several seats of the nobility and gentry; among which are those of the Duke of Argyll and Lord Kinnoul, Clock House, Ashford Lodge, Ford House, &c."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Ashford and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 07 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation