Genuki Logo   Genuki Contents GENUKI
Contents
    Bethnal Green Bethnal Green

Anglican Churches in Bethnal Green, Middlesex in 1890

Information on this page was provided by John Henley, who regularly answers questions on mailing lists about Middlesex parishes and churches.

Here is a list of all the Anglican churches of Bethnal Green in 1890/1905, with the dates of the parish formation if known. Original registers if not still with church are mostly deposited in the London Metropolitan Archives. See the London Generations database and enter appropriate key word (it is a fussy search-engine - for best results enter in last line one word from district name or one word from church dedication). For Borough, choose "London Borough of Tower Hamlets".

C of E Churches in Bethnal Green in 1890, with date founded where known. Stepney is the original parent parish of all, St Matthew Bethnal Green was split out of Stepney in 1746. All the other Bethnal Green parishes were split out of St Matthew later. For more background information see our list of Stepney churches

I've tried to comment about their IGI status, but if you go to FamilySearch and Browse > Browse Library Catalogue > Placename Search [enter Poplar or St George in the East or Stepney or Bromley or Bethnal Green etc. and select the one in Middlesex - it can be picky about the spelling of the placename , if no luck first time try all possible variations] ] > Church Records and Church Records-Indexes, you will see a list of all the LDS film holdings. For batch numbers see IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places A to M and
IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places N to Z provided by Hugh Wallis. Some churches may appear on the British Vital Records Index (BVRI - an index on CDROM available for sale from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) rather than the IGI. If on the IGI or BVRI then the LDS has a film of the registers.[which may not be complete].

St. Matthew, Church Row [out of Stepney 1746] bombed in WW2 and restored. still open
see SAINT MATTHEW, BETHNAL GREEN, SAINT MATTHEW'S ROW, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 10 on outline map

Bethnal Green, City of London Hospital for Diseases of the Chest Chapel, St. James's Road, non-parochial

Bethnal Green, Jew's Episcopal Chapel, Palestine Place, non-parochial

Bethnal Green, St. Andrew, Viaduct Street [1841/43] 1958 Parish to St. Matthew's. Church demolished (possibly c.1965 when the GLC extended Weaver's Fields?). The church stood at the south end of Viaduct St which likewise no longer exists; the Weaver's Fields open space now covers the site.
see SAINT ANDREW, BETHNAL GREEN, VIADUCT STREET, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 12 on outline map

Bethnal Green, St. Barnabas, Grove Road, Bow [1870], originally non-conformist(1865), bombed 1942, rebuilt 1957,still open
see SAINT BARNABAS, BETHNAL GREEN, GROVE ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 6 on outline map

St. Bartholomew, Coventry Street [1844] repaired after war damage, re-opened 1951/55.
see SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, BETHNAL GREEN, COVENTRY ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 13 on outline map

St. James the Great, Bethnal Green Road [1844] Church closed 1981, redeveloped as flats, 1983. Parish united to St. Matthew's.
see SAINT JAMES THE GREAT, BETHNAL GREEN, BETHNAL GREEN ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 11 on outline map

St. James the Less, St. James's Road [1842]. Blitzed, restored 1950-1961, still open.
see SAINT JAMES THE LESS, BETHNAL GREEN, SAINT JAMES' AVENUE, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 5 on outline map

St. John, Cambridge Road (now Cambridge Heath Road) [1818, separate parish 1837]still open
see SAINT JOHN, BETHNAL GREEN, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 4 on outline map

St. Jude, Old Bethnal Green Road [1844], 1951 parish united to St. James the Great. Church gone,
see SAINT JUDE, BETHNAL GREEN, OLD BETHNAL GREEN ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 3 on outline map

St. Matthias, Hare Street [1844/48], 1951 parish united to St. Matthew's Church gone.
see SAINT MATTHIAS, BETHNAL GREEN, CHESHIRE STREET, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 9 on outline map

St. Paul, Virginia Row [1852/1865], 1951 parish united to St. Matthew's. Church gone,
see SAINT PAUL, BETHNAL GREEN, VIRGINIA ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 8 on outline map

St. Peter, St. Peter's Street [1841], still open
see SAINT PETER, BETHNAL GREEN, SAINT PETER'S AVENUE, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 2 on outline map

St. Phillip, Mount Street [1842/3], 1951 parish united to St. Matthew's. Church closed 1952. became a furniture store, now gone?, some glass to St. Matthew's.
see SAINT PHILIP, BETHNAL GREEN, SWANFIELD STREET, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 7 on outline map

St. Simon Zelotes, Morpeth Street [1844], , 1936 parish united to St. Anthony, Stepney. 1951 this par united to St. John's. Church gone
see SAINT SIMON ZELOTES, BETHNAL GREEN, MORPETH STREET, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 14 on outline map

St. Thomas, Baroness Road [1844/51], demolished war damage. 1951 parish united to St. Peter's
see SAINT THOMAS, BETHNAL GREEN, BARONESS ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 1 on outline map

OTHER INSTITUTIONS WITH ANGLICAN CHAPELS/CHAPLAINS:

Bethnal Green Workhouse ;

The "Bethnal Green" link at the head of the page leads to a GENUKI page with an 1868 Gazetteer description of the area, and link to a modern map for that location.

Maps

On our page of Middlesex maps there is a section for maps recommended by John Henley for use with his lists of churches


Report problems, or contribute information.
[Created 2003 by David Hawgood from information supplied by John Henley. Last updated 31 Aug 2013 by Andrew Millard.]

GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisationValid HTML 4.0!