Churches are listed under Holborn
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"BLOOMSBURY, a parish included within the borough of Finsbury, London, in the county of Middlesex, about 1 mile to the N.E. of St. Paul's. It formed part of the adjoining parish of St. Giles until 1730, when, on the erection of St. George's church, it was severed, and constituted an independent parish by authority of parliament." (There is more of this description).
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Much of Bloomsbury was developed as part of the estates of the Duke of Bedford. The current Bedford Estates has a brief history of the estate and contact details of the estate archive at Woburn Abbey.
Links to maps of Bloomsbury and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 21 Dec 2013 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation