List from "A map of the Ecclesiastical Divisions within the County of London, 1903" published by Edward Stanford of London, reprinted as a facsimile by the London Topographical Society. Parishes within the rural deanery of Chelsea in 1903 are listed in alphabetic order. They are in the Archdeaconry of Middlesex, and the Diocese of London. We have a list of other deaneries.
Chelsea parish (which ended up with 12 ecclesiastical parishes and institutions by 1890 - now five) was a unit of civil government, in Middlesex until 1889, then the new County of London; a Vestry until 1900, becoming the Metropolitan Borough of Chelsea, and then part of the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea in 1964. Pre-1900, there was a detached part of Chelsea parish to the northwest of Kensington, Chelsea's northern neighbour, and Kensington also had small detached parts on the River front in the south of Chelsea parish.- The appropriate Godfrey Maps [website at end] show parish boundaries. Some descriptions have been updated with the aid of the Victoria County History online.
Chelsea Old Church (All Saints) is the original parent parish of almost all parishes, but in 1824, as around this time in other Middlesex parishes (e.g.St.Marylebone, St.Pancras, Paddington) a new parish church was built - in this case, St.Luke's, and the old church was for a time reduced in status to chapel of ease.
If you go to FamilySearch and
Browse > Browse Library Catalogue > Placename Search and select
Chelsea, Middlesex ] > Church Records and Church Records-Indexes, you
will see a list of all the LDS film holdings. Batch numbers are at this
IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places A to M and
IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places N to Z provided by Hugh Wallis. Some churches may appear on the BVRI rather than the IGI. If on the IGI or BVRI then the LDS has a film of the registers.[which may not be complete]. Registers should be with London Metropolitan Archives ,Northampton Row, if not still at the church.
Christ Church Christchurch Street 
still open, parish united with St.Luke's 1986.
see CHRIST CHURCH, CHELSEA, CHRISTCHURCH STREET, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 8 on outline map
Holy Trinity, Sloane Street, Upper Chelsea -
with St Jude; [chapel of ease, 1832, separate parish 1884] still
see HOLY TRINITY, CHELSEA, SLOANE STREET, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 2 on outline map
Park Chapel Proprietary Chapel in Chelsea
parish from 1724. Re-named Emmanuel Chapel 1906. Enlarged 1810. Registers
from 1879. Demolished 1912, and rebuilt as St.Andrew, Park Walk 
with own parish. Parish became St.John with St.Andrew from 1973.
see SAINT ANDREW, PARK WALK, PARK WALK, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA for registers from 1879 at LMA
Parish is no. 7 on outline map
St John, Ashburnham Road / Tadema Road
 Bombed 1940 except tower.Tower demolished 1949. Worship in hall
until 1973., when replaced by new church in World's End Housing
Development. Parish united with St.Andrew, 1973.
see SAINT JOHN, WORLDS END, BLANTYRE STREET, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 6 on outline map
St Jude Turk's Row, ]1844] parish united to
Holy Trinity 1892, church closed and demolished 1933.
see SAINT JUDE, CHELSEA, TURK'S ROW, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 5 on outline map
St Luke Sydney Street  replaced All
Saints as the parish church - still open.
see SAINT LUKE, CHELSEA, SYDNEY STREET, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 4 on outline map
St Saviour, Walton Street  - still
open, just. West end converted to housing 2001, parish united to St.Simon
see SAINT SAVIOUR, CHELSEA, WALTON STREET, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 1 on outline map
St Simon Zelotes, Milner Street, Upper
Chelsea  - still open
see SAINT SIMON ZELOTES, CHELSEA, MILNER STREET, KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 3 on outline map
All Saints [Chelsea Old Church] [original parish church before 1290 - see
notes above] separate parish 1951. Bombed 1941 and rebuilt. Still open.
See St Luke for registers before 1824, when it became a chapel of
Parish web site with history and contacts
Return to top of page
problems, or contribute information.
[Created 2003 by David Hawgood from information supplied by John Henley. Last updated 04 Nov 2008 by Andrew Millard.]
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation