Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"COWLEY, a parish in the hundred of Elthorne, in the county of Middlesex, 1 mile S. of Uxbridge, its post town and railway station, and 15 from London by the Great Western line. It is situated near the river Colne, on the Grand Junction canal. It is supposed to be the Covelie of Domesday, and was held by the Pecches. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of London, value £230, in the patronage of W. Hilliard, Esq., the lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is an ancient structure. It has a tomb to Booth, the tragedian, and the grave of Dr. Dodd, executed in 1777 for forgery; he was the author of "Prison Thoughts" and "Lectures on Death." Here is a National school and some almshouses. Cowley Street is part of the old Roman road from St. Alban's to Staines."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Cowley and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 07 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation