Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CRANFORD, a parish in the hundred of Elthorne, in the county of Middlesex, 6½ miles N.E. of Staines, and 2½ S.W. of Southall station on the Great Western railway. It is situated at the bridge over the river Crane, and near the Grand Junction canal. At the time of Domesday Survey it belonged to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, and is described as Cranbroke. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of London, value £250, in the patronage of Earl Fitzhardinge. The church, dedicated to St. Dunstan, is an ancient structure in the Norman style of architecture. It contains some beautiful monuments, and the tomb of Fuller, who was rector of this parish. The charities amount to £8 per annum. The motehouse was pulled down in 1780. Cranford House contains many valuable portraits, amongst others, those of Swift, Harvey, Fuller, and Temple. Earl Fitzhardinge is lord of the manor, and resides at Cranford House."
"BULLSBRIDGE, in the parish of Cranford, and hundred of Elthorne, in the county of Middlesex, is a goods station of the Great Western railway, half a mile N. of the junction of the railway, the river Cran, the Grand Junction canal, and the Paddington canal."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Cranford and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 07 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation