Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"EDMONTON, a parish in the hundred of Edmonton, county Middlesex, 7 miles N.E. of London. " (There is more of this description).
"BOUNDS GREEN, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of Edmonton, in the county of Middlesex, 1 mile N.E. of Wood Green, 1½ mile N. of Hornsey, and 2 W. of Tottenham. The New River passes near."
"BURY STREET, a ward and hamlet in the parish , union, and hundred of Edmonton, in the county of Middlesex, 1 mile distant from the villages of Winchmore Hill, Southgate, and Enfield Chase respectively, and 8 miles N. of London. It is situated near the New River. [On a modern street map, Bury Street West is shown running West from the Great Cambridge Road to junction of Ridge Avenue and Bush Hill Road.]"
"BUSH HILL, a small hamlet in the parish of Edmonton, union and hundred of Edmonton, in the county of Middlesex, about half a mile from the villages of Winchmore Hill, Southgate, and Lower Edmonton, and 8 miles N. of London."
"PALMER'S GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Edmonton, county Middlesex, 3 miles W. of Edmonton."
"SOUTHGATE, (or South-street), a chapelry and suburban village in the parish and hundred of Edmonton, county Middlesex, 8 miles N.W. of St. Paul's, London, and 1 mile from the Southgate and Colney Hatch station of the Great Northern railway. This place derives its name from its situation at the south gate, or entrance to Enfield Chace, once a royal forest. The village, which is built round a green, contains many good houses. The neighbourhood is well wooded, and is traversed by the New River. The chapelry includes the hamlet of Palmer's Green, and the mansions of Minchendon, once a seat of the dukes of Buckingham and Chandos, Culland's Grove, the residence of Sir W. Curtis, Bart., Southgate Grove, with Ionic portico designed by Nash, and Southgate House. The living is a perpetual curacy in the dioc, of London, value £200, in the patronage of the Vicar of Edmonton. The church, originally built in 1615 at the expense of Sir John Weld, of Arno's Grove, has been pulled down and rebuilt. There is besides a new church. The Independents have a chapel. There are National schools situated on the green. In an adjacent field, called "Camp Field," have been found several pieces of cannon, and a gorget belonging to Oliver Cromwell, with his initials inlaid with jewels, now in the British Museum.
"WINCHMORE HILL, an ecclesiastical district and village in the parish and hundred of Edmonton, county Middlesex, 1 mile from Southgate, 2 miles from Edmonton, and 8 N. of St. Paul's, London. The population in 1861 was 1,674. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London, value £300, in the patronage of the Vicar of Edmonton. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, was erected in 1828 by the parliamentary commissioners. It has an E. window representing in 12 medallions the principal acts in the life of St. Paul. The Calvinistic Methodists, Independents, and Society of Friends have chapels. There are National and infant schools."
"WOOD GREEN, a ward in the parish of Tottenham, county Middlesex, 5½ miles N. of St. Paul's Cathedral, London. It is situated on the New River and Great Northern railway, on which it is a station. In 1861 it contained 3,154 inhabitants. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. Here are the printers' and fishmongers' almshouses."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Edmonton and places within its boundaries.
The Royal Masonic School for Boys was established at Lordship Lane, Wood Green in 1857. A new and larger building was opened in 1865. In 1902 the school moved to Bushey, Hertfordshire. The school was for the education of the sons of needy Freemasons, including orphans. Some School Yearbooks survive, and copies are held at the Society of Genealogists. The Yearbook will usually include the name of the sponsoring Masonic Lodge, which is usually that of the father. There is a brief history on Wikipedia.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 07 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation