Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"FINCHLEY, a parish in the Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 4 miles S. of Barnet, and 7 N. of London. " (There is more of this description).
"BROWN'S-WELLS, a hamlet in the parish of Finchley, and hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, 1 mile N.E. of the village of Finchley, and about half a mile W. of Colney Hatch railway station. It is situated on the Great North Road, about 7 miles N. of the General Post Office. A branch of the river Brent passes through the estate of Strawberry-Vale. The St. Pancras and Islington cemeteries are close by. [Brown's Well Road is on a modern map running into Oak Lane, West of Finchley High Road, opposite the cemetery.]"
"WHETSTONE, a hamlet and chapelry in the parishes of Friern Barnet and Finchley, county Middlesex, 2 miles S. of Barnet, 8½ N.W. of London, and 2 from Colney Hatch station on the Great Northern railway. The village is situated on the high road to St. Alban's, and within the N. metropolitan postal district. The living is a perpetual cur. in the diocese of London, value £170, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. John. The Independents have a chapel. There are National and infant schools."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Finchley and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 07 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation