Description and History from 1868 Gazetteer
FRIERN BARNET, (or Fryern Barnet) a parish and small village in the Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, 8 miles to the N. of London, and a short distance from the Colney Hatch and Southgate station, on the Great Northern railway.
It lies in a pleasant district on the east side of Finchley Common, about 1½ mile from Whetstone, and may also be approached by the green lanes from Ball's Pond and Hornsey. It includes the hamlet of Colney Hatch, with the newly-erected Middlesex Pauper Lunatic Asylum, and part of the hamlet of Whetstone. The manor of Fryern Barnet originally belonged to the priory of St. John of Jerusalem. The ancient manor-house, which was taken down many years ago, is conjectured to have been the occasional seat of the abbots. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of London, of the value of £255, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church, a small Norman edifice, is dedicated to St. James. It was enlarged and almost rebuilt in 1853, and now holds 460 persons. National and infant schools have been built adjacent to it. A school church has also been built near the station at Colney Hatch. There are almshouses for 12 persons, founded in 1612 by Lawrence Campe, and endowed with £7 a year. Fryern Barnet was the birthplace (1732) of Walker, author of the "English Pronouncing Dictionary." [1868 Gazetteer spells it as Fryern Barnet, modern maps give Friern Barnet.]
[Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland" (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
This description is intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated on 9 Oct 2003 by David Hawgood. ©2003]