GENUKI London and Middlesex have moved to www.genuki.org.uk

You will be redirected to the new site

Genuki Logo  Genuki Contents GENUKI
Contents
    Middlesex Middlesex NeighboursNearby places

FULHAM

Church Directories

Parishes in this Rural Deanery in 1903

Outline map of Parishes in 1903

Anglican churches of Fulham - list in alphabetic order with numbers corresponding to outline map.

Description and Travel

Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"FULHAM, a parish in the Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 2 miles S. of Hammersmith, and 6 S.W. of the General Post-Office. It is situated in a bend of the Thames, being bounded on the E., S., and W. by that river, and is opposite Putney, with which it is connected by a bridge. Parsons Green, Walham Green, and North End, are included in the parish, and Hammersmith formed part of it till 1834, when that was made a separate parish. " (There is more of this description).

"NORTH-END (FULHAM), a district in the parish of Fulham, Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 1 mile E. of Hammersmith, and 6 miles S.W. of St. Paul's, London. It is situated at the bridge over the Thames opposite Putney, and was the residence of Foote, the tragedian; Bartolozzi, the engraver; Tonson, the bookseller; and Richardson, the author of "Clarissa Harlowe."

[The area shown as North End on a map of 1888 is just South of West Kensington station, the area which is now between North End Road and Earl's Court.] "

"PARSON'S GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Fulham, county Middlesex, 6 miles S.W. of St. Paul's. It is situated near the bridge over the Thames. Several eminent persons have resided here, as Lord Bacon, Richardson, and Addison."

"WALHAM-GREEN, a district chapelry in the parish of Fulham, Kensington division of Ossulstone hundred, county Middlesex, 1 mile N.E. of Fulham, its post town, and 5 S.W. of St. Paul's. It is situated near the river Thames. In 1861 the ecclesiastical district contained a population of 6,931. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of London, value 180, in the patronage of the Vicar of Fulham. The church, dedicated to St. John, was erected in 1829 at an expense of about 10,000. The Butchers' Almshouses are situated here."

Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.

Maps

Links to maps of Fulham and places within its boundaries.


Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 07 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]

GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation Valid HTML 4.0!