Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"GREENFORD, (or Great Greenford) a parish in the hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 4 miles N.W. of Brentford, and 4½ N. of Hounslow, its post town. The Hanwell station on the Great Western line of railway is 1½ mile S. of the village, and the river, Brent and Paddington canal flow through the parish. The place is ancient, and formed part of the demesne belonging to Westminster Abbey. It now belongs to the Bishop of London. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £600. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of London, value £560, in the patronage of King's College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient structure of flint, dedicated to St. Anna, and contains several monuments and brasses dating from the 15th century. There is a school for boys and girls, endowed with property producing about £200 per annum.
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Greenford and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 07 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation