GENUKI London and Middlesex have moved to www.genuki.org.uk

You will be redirected to the new site

Genuki Logo á Hackney Parish Hackney

Hackney Anglican churches in 1890

Much of the information on this page was provided by John Henley, who regularly answers questions on mailing lists about Middlesex parishes and churches.

For Hackney here is a list of all the Anglican churches in Hackney which may be useful. As always, corrections most welcome. Hackney parish (which, with Stoke Newington, ended up with 30 ecclesiastical parishes by 1890 - now 20) was a unit of civil government, in Middlesex until 1889, then the new County of London; a Vestry until 1900, becoming the Metropolitan Borough of Hackney , and then part of the London Borough of Hackney in 1964. - The appropriate Godfrey Maps show parish boundaries. This list of Hackney churches 1890 may help. with date founded where known. St John at Hackney [do not confuse with St.John of Jerusalem] is the original parent parish of all except Stoke Newington parishes. I've tried to comment about their IGI status, but if you go to www.familysearch.org and Browse > Browse Library Catalogue > Placename Search [enter Hackney and select Paddington, Middlesex ] > Church Records and Church Records-Indexes, you will see a list of all the LDS film holdings. Batch numbers are at this site from NZ SoG Hamilton and IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places A to M and
IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places N to Z provided by Hugh Wallis.Some churches may appear on the BVRI rather than the IGI. If on the IGI or BVRI then the LDS has a film of the registers.[which may not be complete]. Dates of creation of parishes showing progressive splitting of parishes are also in Brian Fisk's list. Original registers are mostly deposited in the London Metropolitan Archives. In the list below, the name of the church as it appears in their database is shown (in capitals) followed by the words "in LMA database". Contact details for churches now are on the Diocese of London 'Explore' page or their list for Hackney Deanery which give addresses, email and phone numbers and have grid references. East of London FHS have a list of dates and locations of registers.

Hackney

Hackney, St John at Hackney [St.John the Baptist], Mare Street [originally St.Augustine's 1292, mediŠval church, new 1795] - Still there, part of team ministry with St.James; a useful history and illustration is provided by Cheryl Morgan
Registers at LMA under SAINT JOHN AT HACKNEY, HACKNEY, LOWER CLAPTON ROAD, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 17 on outline map

Hackney, All Saints', Blurton Road, Clapton Park [before 1883]
Registers at LMA under ALL SAINTS, CLAPTON PARK, BLURTON ROAD, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 18 on outline map

Hackney, All Souls', Overbury Road, Clapton Park [1884] - Still there Parish part of team ministry with St.Barnabas
Registers at LMA under ALL SOULS, CLAPTON, OVERBURY STREET, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 20 on outline map

Hackney, Christ Church, Rendlesham Rd/Lower Clapton Rd, Clapton [before1871] ???
Registers at LMA under CHRIST CHURCH, CLAPTON, RENDELESHAM ROAD, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 13 on outline map

Hackney, Ram's Chapel, High Street, Homerton [before 1872] ???

Hackney, St Barnabas, High Street, Homerton [1847] - Still there
Registers at LMA under SAINT BARNABAS, HOMERTON, HOMERTON HIGH STREET, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 25 on outline map

Hackney, St.Paul's, Glyn Road, Homerton [mission chapel, separate parish 1891] Declared redundant 1981. Now Clapton Community Seventh-day Adventist Church. Parish united with previous.
Registers at LMA under SAINT PAUL, HOMERTON, GLYN ROAD, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 19 on outline map

Hackney, St.Luke, Chatham Place (now Homerton Terrace) [1872] - Still open
Registers at LMA under SAINT LUKE, HACKNEY, HOMERTON TERRACE, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 24 on outline map

Hackney, St.James', Clapton Road [1841] - Still there, part of team ministry with St.John at Hackney
Registers at LMA under SAINT JAMES THE GREAT, HACKNEY, LOWER CLAPTON ROAD, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 14 on outline map

Hackney, St.Matthew, Warwick Road [now Mount Pleasant Lane], Upper Clapton [1869] - Still there parish grouped with S.Thomas Stamford Hill and St.Michael Stoke Newington
Registers at LMA under SAINT MATTHEW, UPPER CLAPTON, WARWICK GROVE, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 8 on outline map

Hackney, Holy Trinity, Lea Bridge [18??] [mission chapel to previous]

Hackney, St.Thomas, The Common, Stamford Hill, Upper Clapton [1827] - Still there parish grouped with S.Matthew Warwick Road and St.Michael Stoke Newington
Registers at LMA under SAINT THOMAS, CLAPTON COMMON, HACKNEY
For history see the church website. Stamford Hill Chapel was built here about 1777 for worship by people living in new large houses in the neighbourhood. It was dedicated to St Thomas in 1827, and rebuilt in 1832. It became an independent parish in 1856. The interior was remodelled in 1873. All except the tower was dstroyed by a bomb in 1940, and it was rebuilt in 1958. Parish is no. 4 on outline map

Hackney, St.Philip, Richmond Road, Dalston [before 1880] church gone, parish now united with next
Registers at LMA under SAINT PHILIP, DALSTON, RICHMOND ROAD, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 23 on outline map

Hackney, Holy Trinity, Mayfield Road [now Beechwood Road], Dalston [1879] Still there
Registers at LMA under HOLY TRINITY, DALSTON, BEECHWOOD ROAD, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 22 on outline map

South Hackney

South Hackney, St John of Jerusalem, [Lauriston Road ] King Edward Road [1825,1845] - Still there
Registers at LMA under SAINT JOHN OF JERUSALEM, HACKNEY, LAURISTON ROAD, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 28 on outline map

South Hackney, Christ Church, Gore Road [before 1871] church gone? parish united to previous
Registers at LMA under CHRIST CHURCH, SOUTH HACKNEY, GORE ROAD, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 27 on outline map

South Hackney, St.Augustine, Victoria Park Road, Hackney Wick [1867]; severely damaged by bombing in early 1944; parish united to next.
Registers at LMA under SAINT AUGUSTINE, SOUTH HACKNEY, VICTORIA PARK, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 29 on outline map

South Hackney, Eton College Mission, Gainsborough Road, Hackney Wick [18??] [mission district, became St.Mary the Virgin of Eton, Hackney Wick, separate parish,1893] - Still there
Registers at LMA under SAINT MARY OF ETON, HACKNEY WICK, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 30 on outline map

South Hackney, St.Michael & All Angels, London Fields, London Lane [1863] - Still there, united to St.Paul Haggeston (see Shoreditch list)
Registers at LMA under SAINT MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, HACKNEY, LANSDOWNE DRIVE, LONDON FIELDS, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 26 on outline map

West Hackney

West Hackney, St. James Stoke Newington Road [1824] Appears as St James, West Hackney on 1903 map and list. In 1888 map shown as "West Hackney Church" off Stoke Newington Road between Amhurst Road and Church Road/Evering Road. Churchyard closed 1879. The original church was bombed 1940. Replaced by a small modern church called St.Paul.- Still there
Registers at LMA under WEST HACKNEY CHURCH, WEST HACKNEY, STOKE NEWINGTON ROAD, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 12 on outline map

West Hackney, St Barnabas, Shacklewell Row [1910, consecrated 1929] originally Hindle Street Mission [18??], which was succeeded by Merchant Taylors' School Mission [1890]. Church still there. From 1955 served parish of West Hackney with St Pauls.
Registers at LMA under SAINT BARNABAS, WEST HACKNEY, SHACKLEWELL, HACKNEY
Parish is no. xx on outline map

West Hackney, St.Mark, Sandringham Road, Dalston [1860] - Still there
Registers at LMA under SAINT MARK, DALSTON, SAINT MARK'S RISE, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 15 on outline map

West Hackney, St.Bartholomew [Dalston lane] [18??] [Mission Chapel to previous], now reunited with previous. Church Gone??
Registers at LMA under SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, DALSTON, DALSTON LANE, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 16 on outline map

West Hackney, St.Peter, De Beauvoir Square [1845] - Still there
Registers at LMA under SAINT PETER, HACKNEY, NORTHCHURCH TERRACE, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 21 on outline map

Stoke Newington

Stoke Newington, St. Mary, Church Street [mediŠval] [two churches, the first mediŠval, now a chapel of ease to other] both - Still there
Registers at LMA under SAINT MARY, STOKE NEWINGTON, STOKE NEWINGTON CHURCH STREET, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 6 on outline map

Stoke Newington, St.Matthias, St.Matthias Road [1853?] - Still there
Registers at LMA under SAINT MATTHIAS, STOKE NEWINGTON, WORDSWORTH ROAD, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 10 on outline map

Stoke Newington, St.Faith, Albion Street [1853?] now gone
Registers at LMA under SAINT FAITH, STOKE NEWINGTON, LONDESBOROUGH ROAD, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 11 on outline map

Stoke Newington, All Saints', Adam [Aden?] Grove [1876] ???
Registers at LMA under ALL SAINTS, STOKE NEWINGTON, ADEN GROVE, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 7 on outline map

Stoke Newington, St.Andrew, Bethune Road [1883] - Still there
Registers at LMA under SAINT ANDREW, STOKE NEWINGTON, BETHUNE ROAD, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 3 on outline map

Stoke Newington, St.Michael & All Angels, Northwold Road, Stoke Newington Common [1885] church still there, parish grouped with St.Matthew, Upper Clapton and St.Thomas Stamford Hill.
Registers at LMA under SAINT MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, STOKE NEWINGTON COMMON, NORTHWOLD ROAD, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 9 on outline map

Stoke Newington, St.Olave, Woodberry Down, Manor House [1894] - Still there
Registers at LMA under SAINT OLAVE, STOKE NEWINGTON, WOODBERRY DOWN, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 2 on outline map

St. John the Evangelist, Brownswood Park, Queen's Drive, Finsbury Park [1874] originally in HORNSEY parish. - Still there
Registers at LMA under SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST, FINSBURY PARK, GLOUCESTER DRIVE, HACKNEY
Parish is no. 5 on outline map

Other Institutions with Anglican chapels or chaplains:

Hackney Grammar School ; Hackney Workhouse and Infirmary ; City of London Union, Homerton ; Grocers' Company Middle Class School ; Dalston Refuge ; Eastern Hospitals, Homerton ; Metropolitan Hospital, Kingsland Road, E..

Maps

On our page of Middlesex maps there is a section for maps recommended by John Henley for use with his lists of churches

á

Return to top of page


Report problems, or contribute information.
[Created by David Hawgood. Last updated 31 Aug 2013 by Andrew Millard.]

GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisationValid HTML 4.0!