Description and History from 1868 Gazetteer
HADLEY, (or Monken Hadley), a parish in the hundred of Edmonton, county Middlesex, 1 mile N.E. of Chipping Barnet. It is situated near Enfield Chase, and is intersected by the Great Northern railway, which passes through the wood, having a station at Barnet.
In the village are gasworks. The parish was formerly given to Walden Abbey by Geoffrey de Mandeville, and at the Dissolution was given by Henry VIII. to Lord Audley. Here was fought the famous battle between Edward IV. and the Earl of Warwick in 1471. The spot is indicated by an obelisk erected in 1740. The living is a don.* curacy in the diocese of London, value £199. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is situated near the Common, and is a cruciform structure, with a square tower, built of flint, and nearly covered with ivy. It was restored in 1848, and has on the top of the tower an iron beacon used in ancient times to give warning of danger, or to summon the country to arms. This beacon is believed to be unique. The church contains tombs of the Goderes, Sir R. Wilbraham, Dr. Monro, and Mrs. Chapone; it has also brasses of the Greens, and one to W. Gale bearing date 1442. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There are National and infant schools, and two almshouses, one founded in 1616 by Sir Roger Wilbraham for six poor persons, with an endowment of £18 each; the other, founded by Sir Justinian P. Pagett, consists of two houses for three men and three women; the latter was rebuilt in 1832 by subscription. Staunford, a lawyer, and Atkyns, who wrote the History of Gloucestershire, were natives of this place. The principal residences are Wrotham Park, and Hadley House, the former a seat of the Earl of Strafford.
[Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland" (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
This description is intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated on 9 Oct 2003 by David Hawgood. ©2003]