Parishes in this Rural Deanery in 1903
Anglican churches in Hammersmith in 1903 - An expanded version of the 1903 list of parishes, showing dates of creation of parishes, and the name used for the records in the London Metropolitan Archives, and elsewhere. The ancient parishes were split into many smaller ones as London grew. This web page has links to other directories of churches in Hammersmith.
Outline map of Parishes in 1903
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HAMMERSMITH, a parish and suburban district in the Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 6 miles S.W. of St. Paul's. It is a station on the Kew section of the North London railway. The parish is situated on the river Thames, and comprises Brook Green, Pallenwick, and Shepherd's Bush. It was formerly part of Fulham, but is now a distinct parish. " (There is more of this description).
"BROOK GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Hammersmith, hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, near Hammersmith. It is pleasantly situated on the Thames, and contains Episcopal and Roman Catholic chapels, and some almshouses. See Hammersmith."
"WORMWOOD SCRUBS, (or Wormholt), a common in the Holborn division of Ossulstone hundred, county Middlesex, 6 miles N.W. of St. Paul's, London. It is situated on the Paddington canal, at the place where the Great Western and West London railways cross.
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Hammersmith and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 07 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation