This list is partly from information collected by John Henley, partly from "A map of the Ecclesiastical Divisions within the County of London, 1903" published by Edward Stanford of London, reprinted as a facsimile by the London Topographical Society. Parishes within the rural deanery of Hammersmith in 1903 which are within the County of London are listed; they are sub-divisions of the parish of St Paul, Hammersmith. They are in the Archdeaconry of Middlesex, and the Diocese of London. We have a list of other deaneries
By 1945 there were some 27 ecclesiastical parishes in Hammersmith and Fulham (today 21). (Those on this page are in Hammersmith, there is a separate page for Fulham). The area is today the modern London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham. Previously Fulham and Hammersmith had been [1900-1965] separate Metropolitan boroughs in the County of London. Before that Fulham was an ancient and civil parish, with a Vestry, in Middlesex until 1889 when the County of London was created. In 1629 a chapel of ease was built in the hamlet of Hammersmith and in the 19th.century Hammersmith became a separate civil parish and Vestry from Fulham. Hammersmith was also known as Fulham (North Side). There have been various minor adjustments to the [civil] parish, metropolitan borough and London borough boundaries over the past 150 years.
Dates of creation of parishes are taken from information supplied by John Henley, and from Brian Fisk's list. Dates of church buildings are from "Pevsner's Buildings of England, London 3: North West". Original registers are mostly deposited in the London Metropolitan Archives. In the list below, the name of the church as it appears in their database is shown (in capitals) followed by the words "in LMA database". For those shown as "Not found in LMA database, enquire at the church; contact details are on the two websites in the next paragraph.
Also see Diocese of London church list which has contact details and has grid references.
Hammersmith, St Paul, Broadway.
Chapel within the parish of Fulham from 1631, parish from 1834, 17th
century chapel replaced in 1882 by present church at Queen Caroline
Street, still open. Other parishes on this page were progressively split
off from St. Paul.
History on St Pauls Hammersmith website
Registers from 1664 and some indexes at Hammersmith and Fulham Archives;
transcripts for some years only at LMA under SAINT PAUL, HAMMERSMITH: QUEEN CAROLINE STREET, HAMMERSMITH AND FULHAM.
Parish is no. 11 on outline map
Holy Innocents, Dalling Road
(Paddenswick Road) Parish created 1892; church built from 1889,
substantially altered and sub-divided in 1989, still open.
Not found in LMA database
Parish is no. 7 on outline map
St.Catherine Coleman, North Hammersmith - created 1929 following the clearance of the White City Exhibition Grounds, still open
St John the Evangelist, Glenthorn
Parish created 1860; church by Butterfield built 1859 - still open, but may close in 2004
Not found in LMA database
Parish is no. 8 on outline map
St Luke, Uxbridge Road; Parish
created 1872; St Mary Stamford Brook was split from it in 1888, and North
Hammersmith in 1922. Church built 1871 was replaced by a new one in 1976;
Not found in LMA database
Parish is no. 1 on outline map
St. Michael & St.George, White City. Created 1945 following the clearance of the White City Exhibition Grounds; still open. Was a Conventional District until 2002, now part of St.Stephen's parish.
St Mary, Stamford Brook (Stamford
Brook Road). Parish created 1888 from St Luke; church built 1886, closed
197?, parish united to St.Saviour's. Converted to flats in 1986.
SAINT MARY, STAMFORD BROOK, HAMMERSMITH AND FULHAM in LMA database
Parish is no. 4 on outline map
St Matthew, Sinclair Road, West Kensington
Park; Parish created 1872; church built 1870; still open.
SAINT MATTHEW, WEST KENSINGTON, SINCLAIR ROAD, HAMMERSMITH AND FULHAM in LMA database
Parish is no. 10 on outline map
St Peter, Black Lion Lane, West
Hammersmith; Parish created 1836, church built fron 1827 [Chapel
of Ease 1829] - still open
SAINT PETER, HAMMERSMITH, BLACK LION LANE, HAMMERSMITH AND FULHAM in LMA database
Parish is no. 6 on outline map
St Saviour, Cobbold Road (partly
within the County of London); Parish created 1891 partly out of Acton
parish; church built from 1888, sub-divided in 1970; still open.
SAINT SAVIOUR, SHEPHERDS BUSH, COBBOLD ROAD, HAMMERSMITH AND FULHAM in LMA database
Parish is no. 3 on outline map
St Simon, Rockley Road, West
Kensington; Parish created 1880; church built from 1879, still
SAINT SIMON, HAMMERSMITH, ROCKLEY ROAD, HAMMERSMITH AND FULHAM in LMA database
Parish is no. 9 on outline map
St Stephen, Uxbridge Road
(Coverdale Road); Parish created 1850; church built from 1849, spire
removed after damage in 2nd World War; still open.
SAINT STEPHEN, SHEPHERDS BUSH, UXBRIDGE ROAD, HAMMERSMITH AND FULHAM in LMA database
Parish is no. 2 on outline map
St Thomas, Godolphin Road
(Thornfield Road), Shepherds Bush; created 1883; closed 1963, parish
united to St.Stephen's, church now Greek Orthodox.
SAINT THOMAS, HAMMERSMITH, GODOLPHIN ROAD, HAMMERSMITH AND FULHAM in LMA database
Parish is no. 5 on outline map
Most of these parishes also had mission chapels, e.g.St.Michael's in St.Matthew's Parish, which never achieved independence. A small area of each of the parishes of All Souls' Harlesden , St.Martin's, Kensal Rise; St.John's, Kensal Green; St Clement's (St.Helen's) Kensington; Holy Trinity, Latimer Road; St.Clement's Notting Hill; St.James, Norlands South; and St. John's, Holland Park [see Kensington List] were in the Metropolitan. Borough of Hammersmith (later London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham). A small area of St.James Moore Park was in the Metropolitan Borough of Chelsea.
Return to top of page
problems, or contribute information.
[Created by David Hawgood. Last updated 21 Dec 2013 by Andrew Millard.]
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation