GENUKI London and Middlesex have moved to www.genuki.org.uk

You will be redirected to the new site

Genuki Logo Hampstead Parish Hampstead

Anglican churches in Hampstead Deanery in 1903

List from "A map of the Ecclesiastical Divisions within the County of London, 1903" published by Edward Stanford of London, reprinted as a facsimile by the London Topographical Society. Parishes within the rural deanery of Hampstead in 1903 which are within the County of London are listed under the historic parish of which they are sub-divisions. They are in the Archdeaconry of Middlesex, and the Diocese of London. We have a list of other deaneries. Most of the dates of creation of parishes are taken from Brian Fisk's list. Original registers are mostly deposited in the London Metropolitan Archives. In the list below, the name of the church as it appears in their database is shown (in capitals) followed by the words "in LMA database". For those shown as "Not found in LMA database", enquire at the church; contact details are on the Diocese of London 'explore' pages or their list for North Camden (Hampstead) Deanery which give addresses, email and phone numbers and have grid references.

Hampstead, St John, Church Row

ancient parish from 1549
Registers are deposited at London Metropolitan Archives. There are some extracts at the Society of Genealogists, and there are microfilm copies in Holborn Library of registers up to about 1840. The registers have been scanned and are available on CD from the online parish shop The parish website has history of the parish and church, also an index to monuments and memorials in the churchyard and additional burying ground (which is North of Church Row). A transcript of inscriptions is at Holborn Library, the Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre. The transcript and index was prepared by Camden History Society
SAINT CUTHBERT, HAMPSTEAD, FORDWYCH ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 2 on outline map

Hampstead, St John, detached part
The Hampstead Board of Guardians opened a workhouse on this area in 1810, rebuilt in 1845, and with circular wards added in 1870. In 1930 it became New End Hospital, closed 1986.
no. 3 on outline map

All Souls, Loudoun Road, St John's Wood
Parish created 1865
ALL SOULS, HAMPSTEAD, LOUDOUN ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 14 on outline map

Christ Church, Christ Church Road
Parish created 1852; the church is just North of New End Hospital, which was a detached part of St John parish.
CHRIST CHURCH, HAMPSTEAD, HAMPSTEAD SQAURE in LMA database ("square" is mis-spelt)
Parish is no. 4 on outline map

St Mary, Priory Road, Kilburn
Parish created 1869
SAINT MARY, KILBURN, PRIORY ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 13 on outline map

St James, West End Lane, West Hampstead
Parish created 1888 from Kilburn St Mary
Not found in LMA database
Parish is no. 8 on outline map

St Mary the Virgin, Primrose Hill
Parish created 1885? Baptim register starts 1868.
SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, PRIMROSE HILL, PRIMROSE HILL ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 16 on outline map

St Paul, Avenue Road
Parish created 1860
SAINT PAUL, HAMPSTEAD, AVENUE ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 15 on outline map

St Peter, Belsize Park
Parish created 1861
SAINT PETER, BELSIZE PARK, BELSIZE SQUARE, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 10 on outline map

St Saviour, Eton Road, Haverstock Hill
Parish created 1856, registers start 1853
SAINT SAVIOUR, HAMPSTEAD, ETON ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 11 on outline map

St Stephen, St Stephen's Green
Parish created 1865
SAINT STEPHEN THE MARTYR, HAMPSTEAD, AVENUE ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 5 on outline map

Holy Trinity, Finchley Road
Parish created 1873
HOLY TRINITY, FINCHLEY ROAD, FINCHLEY ROAD, HAMPSTEAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 9 on outline map

St Cuthbert, Fordwych Road, West Hampstead
Parish created 1888 from Holy Trinity
SAINT CUTHBERT, HAMPSTEAD, FORDWYCH ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 6 on outline map

St Luke, West Hampstead
Parish created 1896
Not found in LMA database
Parish is no. 1 on outline map

Emmanuel, Mill Lane, West Hampstead
Parish created 1885 from Holy Trinity
EMMANUEL, HAMPSTEAD, LYNCROFT GARDENS, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 7 on outline map

Return to top of page


Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 31 Aug 2013 by Andrew Millard]

GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation Valid HTML 4.0!