Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HANWORTH, (or Hanwurth) a parish in the hundred of Spelthorne, county Middlesex, 5 miles E. of Staines, and 3 from Hounslow, its post town. There are ruins of an ancient castle in the parish, which is situated near the river Thames. Henry VIII. occasionally resided at the Manor House, which he afterwards settled on Queen Catherine Parr, who had charge of Elizabeth in her youth. This mansion, which had a fresco ceiling by Kneller, was burnt in 1797. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of London, cal. £451. The church, dedicated to St. George, is a neat building, standing in Hanworth Park, the residence of Algernon Perkins, Esq. The parochial charities produce £32 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. Little Hanworth Park is the seat of Lady Tollemache. Killigrew, the wit and dramatist of the court of Charles II., was born here; also the first Lord Berkeley of Stratton.
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Hanworth and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 07 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation