Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HARMONDSWORTH, (or Hamsworth), a parish in the hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 4 miles N.E. of Staines, and 5 W. of Hounslow. The village is situated near the river Colne and Great Western railway. It contains Septston and part of Longford, with Heath Row Camp. It is the Herenmodesworde of Domesday, and was anciently a possession of Rouen Abbey. After the Reformation it was given by Edward VI. to the Pagets. The parish, which is very flat, contains many orchards and market-gardens. The living is a vicarage* with that of West Drayton annexed, in the diocese of London, joint value £530. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was built at an early period. It contains a Norman doorway, stalls, and piscina. There is a National school for boys and girls. The charities produce £139 per annum.
"SIPSON, (or Sepston) a village in the parish of Harmondsworth, county Middlesex, 7 miles W. of Brentford.
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Harmondsworth and places within its boundaries.
The 1802 will of William Harbour has been transcribed by Jim Robbens and made available on our pages
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 07 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation