Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HAYES, (or Heese), a parish in the hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 3½ miles S.E. of Uxbridge, its post town, and 11½ from Oxford-street, London. It is situated near the Grand Junction canal and Great Western railway, on which it has a station. The parish up to the year 1859 included Norwood and Southall. It now contains the hamlets of Botwell, Wood End, and Yeading. " (There is more of this description).
"BOTWELL, a hamlet in the parish of Hayes, hundred of Elthorne, in the county of Middlesex, 4 miles to the S.E. of Uxbridge. It is near the Great Western railway, which has a station at Southall. The Paddington canal passes through this portion of the parish, and diverges at this point from the Grand Junction."
"SOUTHALL, a chapelry in Norwood precinct of the parish of Hayes, hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 3 miles N.W. of Brentford, and 9 W. of London. It is a junction station on the Great Western and West London railways, and lies between the Paddington and Grand Junction canals. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London. The church, dedicated to St. John, is a modern structure built and endowed by the late Henry Dobbs, Esq. Southall House is the seat of Lord Montford. There is a cattle and sheep market on Wednesday."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Hayes and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 07 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation