GENUKI London and Middlesex have moved to www.genuki.org.uk

You will be redirected to the new site

Genuki Logo  Hayes Parish Hayes

HAYES
Description and History from 1868 Gazetteer

HAYES, (or Heese), a parish in the hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 3 miles S.E. of Uxbridge, its post town, and 11 from Oxford-street, London. It is situated near the Grand Junction canal and Great Western railway, on which it has a station. The parish up to the year 1859 included Norwood and Southall. It now contains the hamlets of Botwell, Wood End, and Yeading.

Hayes formerly belonged to the archbishops of Canterbury, and Archbishop Cranmer resided at the old manor house. The property subsequently passed to the Norths, Jenyns, &c., and now belongs to the present rector. The tithes were commuted for land and corn rents under an Enclosure Act in 1809. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of London, value 700. There are also two district churches, viz: at Norwood, and St. John's, Southall, the livings of which are perpetual curacies,* value 300 and 128 respectively. The parish church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is an ancient structure with a low square tower. The roof is ornamented with carved representations in wood of the sponge and spear and other emblems of the Passion. The church contains a fine altar-piece, sedilia, antique font, several brasses bearing date from 1380, and monuments of Judge Fenner, the Blencowes, and Grenes, of Hayes Park. The register dates from 1557. The Baptists and Independents have each a chapel. The parochial charities produce about 400, including Triplett's charity for apprenticing children of this parish. There is also a presentation for two aged persons of either sex to Emanuel Hospital, Westminster, and for a boy and girl to the school, being the bequest of Lady Dacre. There are National schools for both sexes; also a lunatic asylum for the middle and upper classes, situated in Hayes Park. Charles Mills, Esq., is lord of the manor.

[Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]
This description is intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.

[Last updated on 9 Oct 2003 by David Hawgood. 2003]