Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"HILLINGDON, a parish in the hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 1 mile S.E. of Uxbridge, its post town, and 2½ miles N. of the West Drayton station, on the Great Western railway. It is mentioned in Domesday as Hillendone, and was formerly held by Roger de Montgomery, from whom it came to the Salisburys, Lacies, Stranges, Stanleys, and finally to the De Burghs of West Drayton. The parish contains the township of Uxbridge, with Colham Green, Gowld-Green, and 4 other hamlets." (There is more of this description).
"COLHAM GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Hillingdon, in the county of Middlesex, 2 miles S. of Uxbridge. At the Conquest it was granted to Roger de Montgomery. [On modern maps Colham Road and Colham Green Road run North South, West of Harlington Road; Colham Green is shown as a recreation ground just North West of West Drayton Road.]"
"GOULD GREEN, a village in the parish of Hillingdon, hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 2 miles S.E. of Uxbridge. Here is a large lunatic asylum for the higher classes called Moorcroft House. [On modern maps Goulds Green is the Northern edge of Stockley Park golf course.]"
"PEEL HATCH, a hamlet in the parish of Hillingdon, county Middlesex, 1 mile S.E. of Uxbridge.
[Pield Heath is in this location on 2003 map.]
"YIEWSLEY, a village in the parish of Hillingdon, hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 1 mile S.E. of Uxbridge. [Grewsley in 1868 gazetteer, but that is probably a mis-print for Yiewsley.]"
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Hillingdon and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation