GENUKI London and Middlesex have moved to www.genuki.org.uk

You will be redirected to the new site

Genuki Logo á Holborn Deanery parishes Holborn

Holborn deanery Anglican churches in 1890/1903

Most of the information on this page was provided by John Henley, who regularly answers questions on mailing lists about Middlesex parishes and churches.

Here is a list of all the Anglican churches of Holborn in 1890/1903. with date founded (and closed where appropriate) where known. The first-named in each group is usually the parent parish to those within it, but the area contained many Liberties and extra-parochial places. Original registers if not still with church are mostly deposited in the London Metropolitan Archives. See the London Generations database. In the list below, the name of the church as it appears in their database is shown (in capitals) followed by the words "in LMA database".

For civil administration most of the parishes founded before 1837 also became civil parishes. The county was Middlesex until 1890, then the new County of London. The liberties, parishes and vestries became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Holborn in 1900. N.B. St.Giles in the Fields, St.George Bloomsbury were united into one civil parish in 1774: they and their constituent parishes became part of the M.B. of Holborn in 1900 and thus in 1964 part of the London Borough of Camden, Holy Trinity, Gray's Inn Road was an island of Holborn M.B. surrounded by St.Pancras, now united to St.George the Martyr Queen Square. Parts of Holborn transferred to the City of London in 1994.

I've tried to comment about their IGI status, but if you go to www.familysearch.org and Browse > Browse Library Catalogue > Placename Search [enter Clerkenwell or Finsbury or St.Luke Old Street] and select the one in Middlesex - it can be picky about the spelling of the placename, if no luck first time try all possible variations] > Church Records and Church Records-Indexes, you will see a list of all the LDS film holdings. Batch numbers are at this site from NZ SoG Hamilton and IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places A to M and IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places N to Z provided by Hugh Wallis. Some churches may appear on the BVRI rather than the IGI. If on the IGI or BVRI then the LDS has a film of the registers.[which may not be complete].

City of London

St.Sepuchre without Newgate, Holborn Viaduct [mediŠval, still open] now in the City, included because part of the parish was outside the city walls and jurisdiction. Originally called St.Edmunds, but re-named by returning Crusaders. The church survived Great Fire. Th eparish lost the part inside walls to new parish of Christ Church Newgate Street (former Greyfriars monastery) in 1547. This latter was blitzed and parish re-united with St.Sepulchre, which also has also gained St.Leonard, Foster Lane, St Martin Ludgate, St.Mary Magdalene Old Fish Street and St.Gregory by St. Paul's (all in the City).
Registers are in Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section, under ST SEPULCHRE HOLBORN in their General Guide.

Holborn, St Andrew

Holborn, St.Andrew, Holborn Viaduct [mediŠval - pre-Conquest -before 951] parish originally partly within the City jurisdiction, partly in Middlesex. Escaped Great Fire but largely rebuilt by Wren. Church now a guild church, and still open. Parish united to St.Bride's, Fleet Street in 1954.
Registers are in Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section, under ST ANDREW HOLBORN in their General Guide
Parish is no. 12 on outline map

Holborn, St.Alban the Martyr, Brook Street [1863] bombed and rebuilt - still open
history, pictures and current information are on the church website
photograph and history are provided on the website of St Silas, Kentish Town
Parish is no. 8 on outline map

Holborn, St.John the Evangelist, Red Lion Square [1875 from St George the Martyr] bombed WW2, 1952 parish united to St.George, Bloomsbury
SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST, RED LION SQUARE, RED LION SQUARE, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 5 on outline map

Holborn, St.Peter, Saffron Hill [1832] [Do not confuse with St.Peter, Ashley Street, Clerkenwell or St.Peter, R.C. Clerkenwell Road] gone, 1952 parish united to St.Alban's.
SAINT PETER, SAFFRON HILL, SAFFRON HILL, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 9 on outline map

Holborn, Holy Trinity, Gray's Inn Road [1839] from Holborn St.Andrew. A detached portion of Holborn M.B.. Now gone. 1931 parish united to St.George-the-Martyr Queen Square
HOLY TRINITY, GRAYS INN ROAD, GRAYS INN ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 6 on outline map

St George the Martyr, Queen Square [from Holborn St Andrew, chapel of ease 1706, parish 1723] Do not confuse with St.George Bloomsbury (below) Still open. Registers start 1706.
SAINT GEORGE THE MARTYR, QUEEN SQUARE, QUEEN SQUARE, CAMDEN in LMA database
photograph and history are provided on the website of St Silas, Kentish Town
Parish is no. 4 on outline map

St Giles in the Fields

St.Giles-in-the-Fields, High St, W.C. [1547 from Holborn St Andrew]. Registers still with church. NOT in IGI, possibly no LDS Film - Still open.
SAINT GILES IN THE FIELDS, HOLBORN, ST GILES HIGH STREET in LMA database
Parish is no. 2 on outline map

Seven Dials Mission, West Street 1875?, Temporary Church in previous, closed by 1955, probably closed much earlier.

Christ Church, Endell Street, W.C. 1845 Stood next to St.Giles-in-the-Fields with St.George Bloomsbury Workhouse. closed 1929, parish re-united to St.Giles

Holy Trinity, Lincoln's Inn Fields, Little Queen Street, W.C. [1829/31 from St Giles separate parish 1884]. Usually known now as Holy Trinity, Kingsway. It was built in Little Queen Street, which became part of Kingsway. The London Encyclopaedia tells us that the church was demolished in 1909 having been undermined by the excavations for the Piccadilly Line, and a new church built (see next).
HOLY TRINITY, KINGSWAY, KINGSWAY, CAMDEN in LMA database
Christenings 1841-1876 are on IGI, batch C042211
Parish is no. 10 on outline map

Holy Trinity Kingsway, built 1909-11. 1938 absorbed parish of St.John, Drury Lane (see Westminster list). 1986 closed and parish to St.Paul's Covent Garden (see Westminster list)

Temporary Church, Sardinia Street [in previous parish] 1877-1890[?]

Bloomsbury, St George, Hart Street W.C. [1730 out of St.Giles] - still open
SAINT GEORGE, BLOOMSBURY, BLOOMSBURY WAY, CAMDEN in LMA database
history and description are on the church's own website
photograph and history are provided on the website of St Silas, Kentish Town
Parish is no. 3 on outline map

Bloomsbury, Christ Church, Woburn Square [1831/1902 from St Giles], Chapel-of-Ease to previous, sep.parish 1902 Still open 1966, parish reunited to St.George c.1976. Church demolished
the parish is now combined with St George, Bloomsbury
registers from 1872 to 1972 have existed, but LMA have not received them and the church of St George Bloomsbury does not currently know where they are
Parish is no. 1 on outline map

Bloomsbury, French Anglican Church, St.John La Savoy, Bloomsbury Street, W.C.

Extra parochial places within this geographic area

For description see our entries for Inns Of Court and Rolls Liberty.

Gray's Inn [before 1685]
no. 7 on outline map

Lincoln's Inn [before 1695]
no. 11 on outline map

Staple Inn

Barnard's Inn

Furnival's Inn

Rolls Chapel (1232 as Domus Conversorum, for converted Jews) assigned to Keeper of the Rolls 1377, rebuilt 1617, 1734, altered 1784, closed 1892[?], demolished 1895
no. 13 on outline map. Also see Rolls Liberty.

Return to top of page


Report problems, or contribute information.
[Created by David Hawgood. Last updated 31 Aug 2013 by Andrew Millard.]

GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisationValid HTML 4.0!