Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ICKENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 2½ miles N.E. of Uxbridge, its post town. The parish, which is wholly agricultural, is situated near the river Colne, and was anciently called Tykenham. It formerly belonged to the Shoreditches. The lands are chiefly meadow and pasture. The greater portion of the tithes were commuted for land under an Act of Enclosure in 1780, and the remainder subsequently for a rent-charge of £40 2s. 7d. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of London, value £382. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is an ancient structure containing several brasses of the Shoreditches and others. Swakeleys, an ancient mansion in the Elizabethan style, is the seat of Thomas Truesdale Clarke, Esq., who is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Ickenham and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation