Genuki Logo á Genuki Contents GENUKI
Contents
á á Islington Islington

Anglican Churches in Islington, Middlesex in 1890

Information on this page was provided by John Henley, who regularly answers questions on mailing lists about Middlesex parishes and churches.

Here is a list of all the Anglican churches of Islington in 1890, with the dates of the parish formation if known. As always, corrections welcome. By 1890 there were some 43 ecclesiastical parishes (today 28), Islington is in the modern London Borough of Islington, as are parts of Holborn and Clerkenwell and Old Street, which are the subject of a separate list. Previously it had been [1900-1965] a Metropolitan borough in the County of London. Before that it was an ancient and civil parish, with a Vestry, in Middlesex until 1889 when the County of London was created. There have been various minor adjustments to the [civil] parish/metropolitan and London borough boundaries over the past 150 years.

Original registers if not still with church are mostly deposited in the London Metropolitan Archives. On search form enter "Islington" as key word. Or choose Islington as Borough, enter a significant word of the church name on the search form. If that doesn't work, try "register" as the search word. Putting a narrow range of years reduces the number of entries and makes it easier to spot the one of interest.
In the list below, the name of the church as it appears in the database of London Metropolitan Archives is shown (in capitals) followed by the words "in LMA database", with an indication if there are indexes as well as parish registers.

I've tried to comment about their IGI status, but if you go to FamilySearch and Browse > Browse Library Catalogue > Placename Search and select Islington, Middlesex ] > Church Records and Church Records-Indexes, you will see a list of all the LDS film holdings. Batch numbers were at this site http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/nzsoghamilton/batchnumbers.htm but now see IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places A to M and
IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places N to Z provided by Hugh Wallis. Some churches may appear on the British Vital Records Index (BVRI - an index on CDROM available for sale from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) rather than the IGI. If on the IGI or BVRI then the LDS has a film of the registers.[which may not be complete].

St. Mary, Islington is the ultimate parent parish of them all. You will see that very few churches were in existence in 1837, when civil registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began.

In the list below, the location of most churches is shown by a link to our outline map showing the boundaries of parishes in Islington Deanery in 1903. Location is also shown as an Ordnance Survey grid reference.

Islington, St. Mary, Upper Street - [12th.cent] - the mediŠval parish church- rebuilt 15th.cent and again 1720, bombed except tower and rebuilt 1950-56. Still open. Not on IGI or BVRI.
SAINT MARY, ISLINGTON, UPPER STREET, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 31 on outline map, at grid reference TQ318838

Islington, All Saints' Battle Bridge, [aka All Saints Kings Cross] Caledonian Road/All Saints Street [1837] - burnt 1975 and demolished. Still open [hall-church]. Parish united to St. Andrew Barnsbury w. Holy Trinity as the Barnsbury Team Ministry. Do not confuse with All Saints White Lion Street (Pentonville) - see below and Finbury/Clerkenwell list.
ALL SAINTS, BATTLE BRIDGE, CALEDONIAN ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 37 on outline map, at grid reference TQ307837

Islington, St. John's Mission, Copenhagen Street/York Road - mission chapel in previous parish.(1879) Closed between 1956-61. Now gone??

Islington, All Saints', Dalmeny Road/Tytherton Road, Tufnell Park, Upper Holloway [1886] Bombed 1944, restored 1953. Closed 1975[?]. now flats. Parish united to St. George Tufnell Park
ALL SAINTS, TUFNELL PARK, TYTHERTON ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 11 on outline map, at grid reference TQ296861

Islington, Christ Church, Highbury Grove [1848] Still open, parish now Highbury, Christchurch w. St. John & St. Saviour.
CHRIST CHURCH, HIGHBURY GROVE, HIGHBURY GROVE, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 15 on outline map, at grid reference TQ319855

Islington, St. John, Highbury Park, Highbury Vale. [1881] closed 1979, demolished 1980's. 1979, Parish united to Christ Church.
SAINT JOHN, HIGHBURY PARK, HIGHBURY PARK, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 16 on outline map, at grid reference TQ320853

Islington, Holy Trinity, Cloudesley Square [1829] 1978 church closed and declared redundant. taken over by Celestial Church of Christ, 1980. Replaced by the Church on the Corner in the converted King Edward VII pub at 64 Barnsbury Road. Parish united to St. Andrew Barnsbury and All Saints Battle Bridge as the Barnsbury Team Ministry.
HOLY TRINITY, ISLINGTON, CLOUDSLEY SQUARE, ISLINGTON some index
Parish is no. 30 on outline map, at grid reference TQ313838

Islington, St. Andrew, Thornhill Square, Barnsbury [1854] still open. Parish united with St. Thomas Barnsbury, 1953, with St. Matthias, 1956, with Holy Trinity, 1980 and lastly to All Saints Battle Bridge as the Barnsbury Team Ministry.
SAINT ANDREW, BARNSBURY, THORNHILL SQUARE, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 28 on outline map, at grid reference TQ308841

Islington, St. Andrew, Poole's Park (Whitehall Park) [1897] still open, part of the Upper Holloway Team Ministry.
SAINT ANDREW, WHITEHALL PARK, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 1 on outline map, at grid reference TQ293873

Islington, St Anne Holloway, Poole's Park (Tollington Park)(just East of Durham Road) [1868] - derelict by 1957, demolished 1965. Small church adjacent opened 1960, demolished 1970. 1975, parish united to St. Mark.
SAINT ANNE, POOLE'S PARK, POOLE'S PARK, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 9 on outline map, at grid reference TQ310868

Islington, St. Thomas the Apostle, Monsell Road, Blackstock Road, (St. Thomas's Road) Finsbury Park [1888] still open.
SAINT THOMAS, FINSBURY PARK, SAINT THOMAS'S ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 10 on outline map, at grid reference TQ315863

Islington, St. Augustine, Park Road, Highbury New Park [1864/1871] - Services in hall 1970-1981, church restored and re-opened 1982. still open.
SAINT AUGUSTINE, HIGHBURY, HIGHBURY NEW PARK, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 17 on outline map, at grid reference TQ324857

Islington, St Barnabas, Harvist Road, Hornsey Road (Harvist Estate is now off Citizen Road)[1866] closed 1947, demolished 1966. 1945 Parish united to Emmanuel. 1953 parish divided, part to Emmanuel, part to St. Mary Magdalene.
SAINT BARNABAS, HORNSEY ROAD, HORNSEY ROAD, ISLINGTON. in LMA database
Parish is no. 14 on outline map, at grid reference TQ311860

Islington, St. Bartholomew, Shepperton Road, New North Road [1865] Held services for St. Stephen's 1927-1938 and after St. Stephen's bombed 1940. United to St. Stephen's Canonbury Road 1938(Young) or 1953 (VCH) to St. Stephen's and St. Matthew's - church demolished c.1970.
SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, ISLINGTON, SHEPPERTON ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 36 on outline map, at grid reference TQ327838

Islington, St. Clement, Arundel Square,(Westbourne Road) Barnsbury [1862]. From 1966 main church used as St. John Baptist Greek Orthodox Church. 1973 Adjoining bombed hall restored and used by Anglicans. 1976 parish united to St. David. still open 1975, converted to private flats 1986. Grade II listed. Now called St Clements Court.
SAINT CLEMENT, BARNSBURY, WESTBOURNE ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 24 on outline map

Islington, St. David, Westbourne Road, Barnsbury (West Holloway) [1869] still open 1975. Church building later used by St. Anthony and St. John Greek Orthodox Church, while the parish met in the former church hall as St. David's Lough Road. Church hall due to be demolished and church building refurbished for parish use in 2012-13. Parish united with St. James, (Victoria Road) Holloway Road. Later St. Mary Magdalen and. St. David united as Holloway Team Ministry. Church website
SAINT DAVID, BARNSBURY, WESTBOURNE ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 23 on outline map, at grid reference TQ310847

Islington, St. George, Tufnell Park Road [1868] still open 1975, now replaced by a modern multipurpose worship centre, original church now a concert hall.
SAINT GEORGE, TUFNELL PARK, CRAYFORD ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 12 on outline map, at grid reference TQ300859

Islington, St. James, Victoria Road (later Chalfont Road, later Chillingworth Road), Holloway (Lower Holloway) [1839] 1953 parish united to St. Mary Mag. Church bombed 1944, parish hall for St. Mary Magdalen built inside shell.
SAINT JAMES, HOLLOWAY, VICTORIA ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 19 on outline map, at grid reference TQ311852

Islington, St. James the Apostle, Prebend Street, Prebend Road [1872] 1953 parish united with St. Philip, church still open. Do not confuse with St. James, Pentonville (Pentonville Road) see Finsbury/Clerkenwell list.
SAINT JAMES THE APOSTLE, ISLINGTON, PREBEND STREET, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 40 on outline map, at grid reference TQ322838

Islington, St. John the Evangelist, Upper Holloway Road (St. John's Grove), Upper Holloway [1828]. Still open, part of the Upper Holloway Team Ministry.
SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST, UPPER HOLLOWAY, PEMBERTON GARDENS, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 6 on outline map, at grid reference TQ297866

Islington, St Peter, Highgate Hill, Langdon Road, (Bredgar Road/Dartmouth Park Road) Upper Holloway [1880] - still open, part of the Upper Holloway Team Ministry. original church demolished & replaced 1979.
SAINT PETER, DARTMOUTH PARK HILL, DARTMOUTH PARK HILL, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 5 on outline map, at grid reference TQ290867

Islington, St. Stephen Upper Holloway, Elthorne Road, Hornsey Rise, [1881] Closed 1980, Demolished 1983. 1980 Parish united to St. Mary Hornsey Rise.
SAINT STEPHEN, ISLINGTON, ELTHORNE ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 2 on outline map, at grid reference TQ296868

Islington, St. John the Baptist, Cleveland Road, Highbury New Park, [1866/1872] War damage 1940,1944. Services in hall until 1971, Registers closed 1967, Church redundant 1971, demolished by 1981. 1971 Parish united with previous.
SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, ISLINGTON, CLEVELAND ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 35 on outline map, at grid reference TQ328841

Islington, St. Jude, Mildmay Grove, Mildmay Park [1856] still open.
SAINT JUDE, MILDMAY GROVE, MILDMAY GROVE, ISLINGTON in LMA database - some indexes
Parish is no. 26 on outline map, at grid reference TQ333852

Islington, St. Luke, Hillmarton Road, Camden Road, West Holloway [1861] Some bomb damage, 1941, repaired 1956 - Still open.
SAINT LUKE, WEST HOLLOWAY, PENN ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database - some indexes
Parish is no. 18 on outline map, at grid reference TQ303854

Islington, St. Francis, North Road, West Holloway, chapel of ease in previous, [189?] rebuilt 1976, still open.

Islington, St. Mark, Tollington Park [1854] still open, part of the Tollington Team Ministry.
SAINT MARK, TOLLINGTON PARK, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 8 on outline map, at grid reference TQ307868

Islington, Emmanuel, Hornsey Road [1886] still open, part of the Tollington Team Ministry.
EMMANUEL, HORNSEY ROAD, HORNSEY ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 13 on outline map, at grid reference TQ308861

Islington, St. Mary Magdalen, West of Holloway Road South of Madras Place, (1894) see Holloway Chapel, next entry. Church website
SAINT MARY MAGDALENE, HOLLOWAY ROAD, HOLLOWAY ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 20 on outline map, at grid reference TQ313850

Islington, Holloway Road Chapel - chapel of ease [1811] to St. Mary, first in Islington. Later St. Mary Magdalene, Lower Holloway (see previous entry), became separate parish in 1894, united 1953 with St. James, (Victoria Road) Holloway Road. Still open. Burials ceased 1856.

Islington, St. Mary-the-Less, Ashley Road, Hornsey Rise [1861] - still open, part of the Upper Holloway Team Ministry.
SAINT MARY, HORNSEY RISE, ASHLEY ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 3 on outline map, at grid reference TQ302875

Islington, St. Matthew, Essex Road [1851] began 1836 as St. Paul's Episcopal Chapel in former Wesleyan chapel in New Norfolk Street (later Ecclesbourne Road). New building and separate parish 1851. Damaged WW2, demolished by 1966. Parish united to St. Stephen w. St. Bartholomew, 1953.
SAINT MATTHEW, ESSEX ROAD, ESSEX ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 34 on outline map, at grid reference TQ324842

Islington, St. Matthias, Caledonian Road [1888]. 1868 began as chapel of ease in Caledonian Rd. in Parish of St. Luke West Holloway. New bldg & separate parish 1888. 1955 united to St. Andrew w. St. Thomas. 1956-1972 chapel of Ease to St. Andrew Thornhill Square. Declared redundant and demolished 1978-81.
SAINT MATTHIAS, CALEDONIAN ROAD, CALEDONIAN ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 22 on outline map, at grid reference TQ305848

Islington, St. Michael, Bingfield Street, Caledonian Road [1856/1864] Closed 1973. 1977 parish united to St. Andrew, derelict by 1981, gone by 1985?
SAINT MICHAEL, ISLINGTON, BINGFIELD STREET, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 27 on outline map, at grid reference TQ306839

Islington, St. Paul, Essex Road, Ball's Pond. [1828] , church closed 1981, now a school. 1982 Parish united to St. Jude's.
SAINT PAUL, CANONBURY, ESSEX ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 25 on outline map, at grid reference TQ327848

Islington, St. Paul, Kingsdown Road/Hanley Road, Upper Holloway aka St. Paul Tollington [1870] 1953 church closed and demolished. Parish united to St. Saviour's, Hanley Road.
SAINT PAUL, UPPER HOLLOWAY, KINGSDOWN ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 7 on outline map, at grid reference TQ302867

Islington, St. Peter, St. Peter Street, (Devonia Road) [1835] aka St. Peter River Lane. 1982 redundant, now converted to flats. Parish united to St James, Prebend Street.
SAINT PETER, ISLINGTON, DEVONIA ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 39 on outline map, at grid reference TQ319835

Islington, St. Philip, Arlington Square [1858] 1953 closed and demolished. Parish united to St. James the Apostle.
SAINT PHILIP THE EVANGELIST, ARLINGTON SQUARE, ARLINGTON SQUARE, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 41 on outline map, at grid reference TQ324836

Islington, St Saviour, Aberdeen Park [1866] John Betjeman's childhood church. Closed 1980. Now art studios. Parish united to Christ Church Highbury.
SAINT SAVIOUR, HIGHBURY, ABERDEEN PARK, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 21 on outline map, at grid reference TQ322854

Islington, St. Saviour, Hanley Road, Tollington Park (Stroud Green) [1882] - still open, part of the Tollington Team Ministry.
SAINT SAVIOUR, ISLINGTON, HANLEY ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 4 on outline map, at grid reference TQ306873

Islington, St. Silas, Penton Street (Pentonville) [1867] - still open. [Technically most of parish in in Met.Boro'of Finsbury, formerly Clerkenwell]
SAINT SILAS, PENTONVILLE, PENTON STREET, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 38 on outline map, at grid reference TQ311833

Islington, St. Stephen's Mission, White Lion Street, also known as All Saints' [1888] Mission chapel in previous parish, but begun from All Saints' Battle Bridge 1838. closed 1958. [Technically in Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury, formerly Clerkenwell]
ALL SAINTS MISSION CHAPEL, WHITE LION STREET, ISLINGTON in LMA database

Islington, St Stephen Canonbury Road (near junction with Essex Road) [1839, separate parish 1860] - Bombed 1940, rebuilt, reopened 1957 still open. 1971 Parish renamed Canonbury.
SAINT STEPHEN, CANONBURY ROAD, CANONBURY ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 33 on outline map, at grid reference TQ320841

Islington, St. Thomas Barnsbury Hemingford Road/Copenhagen Street, [1862]. registers closed 1946?, church demolished 1947. Parish united to Holy Trinity Cloudesley Square and St. Andrew w. St. Thomas 1953.
SAINT THOMAS, ISLINGTON, HEMINGFORD ROAD, ISLINGTON in LMA database
Parish is no. 29 on outline map, at grid reference TQ309837

INSTITUTIONS WITH ANGLICAN CHAPEL/CHAPLAIN:

Maps

The link from the parent parish leads to a GENUKI page with an 1868 Gazetteer description of the area, and link to a modern map for that location. For old maps, on-line or printed, see street and map sites list, maps recommended by John Henley for use with his lists of churches


Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Created by David Hawgood. Last updated 12 Nov 2011 by Andrew Millard]

GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation Valid HTML 4.0!