Alphabetic list of parishes in 1903
Outline map of Parishes in 1903
Anglican churches of Islington - information supplied by John Henley with dates of creation and merging of parishes, link to modern map and name of parish as used in London Metropolitan Archives database of parish registers.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ISLINGTON, (or Islington St. Mary) a parish, forming part of the Metropolitan borough of Finsbury, in the Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex. It is an extensive suburban parish, 2 miles N. of St. Paul's, London and has stations on the Blackwall and Kingston and North London railways at Highbury, and a station on the Great Northern at Holloway. The parish includes besides Islington proper, the populous suburban districts of Highbury, Holloway, Ballspond, Battlebridge, Barnsbury Park, Kingsland, and Newington Green. " (There is more of this description).
"BALL'S POND, a chapelry and suburban district in the parish of Islington and hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, 2 miles to the N. of the city of London. This rapidly increasing suburb is situated near the New River, and takes its name from a pond at a place of entertainment, kept by one John Ball, in the 17th century. The North London railway passes through the district. There are numerous almshouses, including the Metropolitan, Cutlers', Bookbinders', and others. The living is a perpetual curacy in the division of London, of the value of £420, and in the patronage of trustees. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, was erected by Sir James Barry. Contiguous to the church are a vestry-hall and National schools."
"BATTLE-BRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Islington and hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, near the Great Northern railway terminus. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London, value £160, in the patronage of the incumbent of Trinity Church, Islington. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The Regent's canal passes near the hamlet, which now forms part of the northern suburb of London."
"HIGHBURY, a suburban district of London, formerly a hamlet in the parish of Islington, in the Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 3 miles N. of St. Paul's, London. It is a station on the North London railway, and has communication with the City and West End every five minutes by omnibus. It is supposed to derive its name from a small Roman camp, or bury, which occupied the site nearly opposite Highbury Barn Tavern. It was formerly the property of the priors of St. John, Clerkenwell, who had a moated house here called Little St. John's Wood. After the dissolution of monasteries this manor, in which the custom of gavelkind prevails, passed successively to Thomas Cromwell, the crown, the Apsleys, and finally to the Colebrooke family, to whom it at present belongs. In 1381 Jack Straw, one of the followers of Wat Tyler, did considerable damage here. The greater part of the vale of Highbury is now built over, with the exception of the park and the grounds attaching to Highbury Barn Tavern. Highbury terrace and crescent are handsome ranges of buildings, the last being the largest crescent about London. The principal residences are Highbury Park and Highbury House, adjoining which is Mr. Aubert's observatory. At a little distance is Highbury College, built in 1826 at a cost of £22,000, and now occupied as a Church of England training school, though originally built for the Dissenters' college. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London, in the patronage of trustees. The church, called Christ Church, is a cruciform structure, built in 1848 at a cost of £6,000. There are schools in connection with the church. The S division of the metropolitan police has a station here."
"HOLLOWAY, a suburban district of London, in the parish and union of Islington, Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 4 miles N.N.W. of St. Paul's. It consists of Upper and Lower Holloway, and includes the whole district lying in the hollow beyond Islington towards Highgate Hill, the southern spur of which forms part of Upper Holloway. " (There is more of this description).
"KINGSLAND GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Islington, Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 2½ miles N.N.E. of St. Paul's, London. It adjoins Kingsland in the parish of Hackney, whence a road runs to Newington-green. [In 2003, a road just South of Dalston-Kingsland station.]"
"NEWINGTON GREEN, a hamlet in the parish of Islington, county Middlesex, 3 miles N. by E. of St. Paul's, London. Henry VIII. is said to have resided here occasionally, and the lane leading to Ball's Pond is still called by his name. The hamlet consists of a square of well-built houses surrounding the green, one of which for many generations was the seat of the Halliday and Mildmay families. Drs. Aikin and Price were ministers of the chapel here, and Mrs. Barbauld and V. Knox residents."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Islington and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation