Parishes in this Rural Deanery in 1903
Anglican churches in Kensington in 1903 - An expanded version of the 1903 list of parishes, showing dates of creation of parishes, and the name used for the records in the London Metropolitan Archives, and elsewhere. The ancient parishes were split into many smaller ones as London grew. This web page has links to other directories of churches in Kensington.
Outline maps of Parishes in 1903, Northern part and Southern part (North and South of Bayswater Road, Notting Hill Gate, Holland Park Avenue)
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"KENSINGTON, a parish and populous suburban district of London, in the Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 4 miles W.S.W. of St. Paul's, London. It includes the populous neighbourhoods of Brompton, Earl's Court, Norland, Notting Hill, with parts of Little Chelsea, and Kensall Green. " (There is more of this description).
"ABBOT'S KENSINGTON, a manor in the parish of Kensington and hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, 4 miles W.S.W. of St. Paul's. This manor anciently belonged to the Abbey of Abingdon, from which circumstance it derives the first affix to its name. It is now the site of Holland House, a fine Elizabethan mansion built by Sir W. Cope in 1607. It is the seat of the Earl of Holland, and in it Addison died."
"BROMPTON, a district parish forming part of the ancient parish of St. Mary Abbots, Kensington, in the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex. 4 miles to the W. of St. Paul's, London. Its population, by the census of 1861, is 14,886. Its present title is the "ward of the Holy Trinity, Brompton" (the whole of Kensington being divided by a late Act of Parliament into three "wards"). The ward of Holy Trinity, Brompton, is now subdivided into three ecclesiastical district parishes, called Holy Trinity, Brompton (or Old Brompton), a perpetual curacy, value £639, in the gift of the Bishop of London; St. Mary's, West Brompton, a perpetual curacy in the gift of the Incumbent of holy Trinity, Brompton; and St. Paul's, Onslow-square, in private patronage alternately with the bishop. These three churches accommodate 3,700 people. There is also an Episcopal chapel holding 700. The Roman Catholics have an oratory and chapel for 1,200, with several monastic houses affiliated. The Baptists have a chapel for 300, the Consumption Hospital a chapel for 200, and the cemetery a chapel for 100." (There is more of this description).
"EARL'S COURT, a hamlet in the parish of Kensington, Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, half a mile S. of Kensington. It was once the seat of Sir R. Blackmore, and of the celebrated surgeon, John Hunter. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London, in the gift of the Rev. J. D. Claxton."
"NOTTING HILL, a suburban district in the parish of Kensington, and Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 4 miles W. of St. Paul's, London. It is a station on the Metropolitan railway, and has constant communication with the City and West End by omnibus. It is situated nearly opposite Holland Park, and comprises many modern villa residences and ranges of houses, all built since 1828, including Notting Hill-square, Ladbroke-square, Stanley-terrace, and Lansdown-crescent. So recently as the end of the last century foxes are said to have been hunted in the fields, now entirely built over. It was formerly the property of the De Veres, from whom it passed to the Knottingbernes, who have given their name to the district. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. John, is a cruciform structure, with a good spire, built on the site of the Hippodrome. There is also a proprietary chapel at Horbury."
"SHEPHERD'S BUSH, a village in the parish of Kensington, Kensington division of Ossulstone hundred, county Middlesex, 1 mile N.W. of Kensington, and 5 miles W. of St. Paul's. It has a station on the Metropolitan railway. This place, which has much increased within the last few years, contains many villas and detached houses surrounded by gardens. In 1850 the church, dedicated to St. Stephen, was erected here by the Messrs. Bird. It has a spire 150 feet high, and contains several painted windows."
"WESTBOURNE PARK, an ecclesiastical district in the Kensington division of
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Kensington and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation