Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"KINGSBURY, a parish in the hundred of Gore, county Middlesex, 8 miles N.W. of St. Paul's. It is situated on the river Brent, and contains part of the village of Hyde. It is mentioned in Domesday Book as Claingesburie, and was formerly a royal manor. The land is chiefly in pasture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £500. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London, value £90, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London. The church, which is situated at the southern extremity of the parish, is supposed to stand on the site of a Roman camp. It is dedicated to All Saints, and is a very ancient structure, with some Roman bricks built into the wall. In the interior are brasses to Shepherd and his eighteen children, bearing date 1520. The parochial charities produce about £21 per annum. There is a National school."
"HYDE, a village in the parish of Kingsbury, county Middlesex, 8 miles N.W. of St. Paul's, London. [In 2003, "The Hyde" on maps.]"
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Kingsbury and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation