GENUKI London and Middlesex have moved to www.genuki.org.uk

You will be redirected to the new site

Genuki Logo  Genuki Contents GENUKI
Contents
    Middlesex Middlesex NeighboursNearby places

LALEHAM

Description and Travel

Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"LALEHAM, a parish in the hundred of Spelthorne, county Middlesex, 2 miles N. of Chertsey, its post town, and 2 S. of Staines. The village, which is small, is situated at the ferry on the river Thames. It is mentioned in Domesday as Leleham, and was held by the Earl of Mortaigne. The surface, which is flat and marshy, is intersected by a branch of the river Coln. The greater portion of the land is arable, and subject to occasional inundation. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London, value 110. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a square tower of brick containing a clock and three bells. The parochial charities produce about 14 per annum. Laleham House, the seat of Sir B. Hartwell, Bart., and Laleham Cottage, of Earl Lucan, are the principal residences. In the grounds of the latter are two beautiful pillars of verde antique brought from Italy. On the common are traces of two ancient camps."

Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.

Maps

Links to maps of Laleham and places within its boundaries.


Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]

GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation Valid HTML 4.0!