Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LITTLETON, a parish in the hundred of Spelthorne, county Middlesex, 3 miles S.E. of Staines, and 2 N.E. of Chertsey, its post town. It is situated on the N. bank of the Thames, within a short distance of Chertsey Bridge. The surface is flat, and the lands bordering on the river are subject to partial inundation. The land is divided between arable and pasture, a considerable portion of which has only recently been enclosed. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of London, value £320, chiefly arising from land. The church, dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, is an ancient structure. It contains a brass of the 16th century, and several monuments. The parochial charities produce about £21 per annum, nearly half of which is the endowment of Harwood's school. Littleton Manor House, which once belonged to Cardinal Wolsey, is the residence of General Wood, who is lord of the manor and owner of the parish."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Littleton and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation