Description and History from 1868 Gazetteer
NORTHOLT, (or Northalt), a parish in the hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 4 miles from the Hanwell station, 4 E. of Uxbridge, and 2½ S. by W. of Harrow, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the Paddington canal, between the Harrow and Uxbridge roads, about equi-distant from the Birmingham railway at Harrow, and the Great Western railway at Southall.
It is wholly agricultural, but bricks are extensively made. It is mentioned in Domesday as Northala, and was formerly held by the Mandevilles, through whom it came to the Botelers, and so to Earl Jersey, of Osterley. The land is chiefly meadow, with a small proportion of arable. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £668, and the glebe comprises 44 acres. The living is a Vic.* in the diocese of London, value £682, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small ancient structure. The interior has a brass of Rowdell, bearing date 1452, and tombs of Bishop Lisle, of St. Asaph, a former vicar, and Dr. Demainbray, the philosopher. The register dates from 1560. There is a National school. Bricks are made in this parish in large quantities, being used in the construction of the London sewers. Northolt was the scene of numerous contests in the wars of the Roses, as well as in the Civil War. Traces of a Roman road occur in the north-western part of the parish.
[Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland" (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
This description is intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated on 9 Oct 2003 by David Hawgood. ©2003]