Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"NORTON-FOLGATE, an extra parochial liberty in the Tower division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, adjoining the ward of Bishopsgate Without in the City of London. It derives its name from its situation N. of Bishopsgate, and its adjunct, from the Saxon word Foldweg, a highway, in allusion to the Ermine Street which passed through this place. It is a precinct exempt from archidiaconal jurisdiction, being subject to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, to whom the manor belongs, and who at the time of the Domesday Survey possessed 10 cottages and 9 acres of land here.
[In 2003, Norton Folgate is on maps as a street, a continuation of Bishopsgate just North of Liverpool Street station.] "
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Norton Folgate.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation