GENUKI London and Middlesex have moved to www.genuki.org.uk

You will be redirected to the new site

Genuki Logo  Genuki Contents GENUKI
Contents
    Middlesex Middlesex NeighboursNearby places

NORWOOD PRECINCT

Description and Travel

Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"NORWOOD PRECINCT, a chapelry in the parish of Hayes, hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 1 mile S. of Southall railway station, 3 miles N.W. of Brentford, and 2 N.W. of Hounslow, its post town. The village, which is extensive, is situated on the Grand Junction canal, near the Great Western railway. The Precinct contains the hamlets of Norwood-Proper, Southall-Green, and a part of North-Hyde and Southall. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of London, value 128. The church is a small rustic structure with a curious wooden belfry. It has been enlarged, and contains several old tombs. There are four almshouses, erected by the late John Robins in 1815. There is a free school, called Bicoe, founded by a gentleman of that name. The district church of St. John, at Southall-Green, built and endowed by Mr. Dobbs in 1839, and the Hanwell Lunatic Asylum, are included in this Precinct.

[2003 maps show Norwood Green which is in this area.]

Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.

Maps

Links to maps of the Precinct of Norwood and places within its boundaries.


Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]

GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation Valid HTML 4.0!