GENUKI London and Middlesex have moved to

You will be redirected to the new site

Genuki Logo Genuki Contents GENUKI
Middlesex Middlesex NeighboursNearby places


The parish of Pinner was formally created in 1766. Until that time Pinner was the most populous settlement within the parish of Harrow, although Pinner was semi-independent well before then. There is therefore significant overlap between this page and the Harrow-on-the-Hill page. That page should probably also be consulted.

Archives and Libraries


Business and Commerce Records

Chalk Mining

Chalk occurs close to the surface in parts of Pinner. It was extracted 'open cast' at first and later by sinkng mines. Extraction is recorded from 1647, with the open cast area forming what is now called 'The Dell'. Charles Blackwell, a brickmaker from Harrow Weald, had shaft mines sunk in the area at Pinner Green known as 'The Dingles from 1840 to about 1870. Work in the mines was seasonal, so the men who worked there appear on census returns and parish records as plain labourers or agricultural labourers. Some pictures of the mine are available on an archived page of the Open University Geological Society (London Branch). For details of the mines see Kirkman, Ken, Pinner chalk mines, (1992, Pinner Local History Society).


The Pinner churchyard was the sole place of burial until the 19th century. The following table shows the opening and closure date of known cemeteries within the parish.

Cemetery Opened Closed Registers and their location Notes/Memorial Inscription transcripts
St John the Baptist, Pinner ancient 1861 LMA
Paines Lane Cemetery, Pinner 1860 1924 Harrow Cemetery Office; copy at Harrow Local History Collection, also Day Book 1860-1919 and detailed plans MIs transcribed by Pinner LHS and/or Central Middlesex FHS (now LWMFHS) before 1990 and available on fiche.
Harrow Cemetery, Pinner Road, Harrow 1888 still in use Harrow Cemetery Office* municipal cemetery
Pinner New Cemetery, Pinner Road, Pinner 1933 still in use Harrow Cemetery Office* municipal cemetery

Harrow Cemetery Office, Harrow Weald Cemetery, Clamp Hill, Stanmore, Middlesex, HA7 3JS. * indicates registers not searchable by the public.


For all censuses of general use to the family historian, Pinner Parish, and the later subdivisions of it, fell within the Hendon Registration District and Harrow Sub-district.

Apart from the several censuses with national indexes available online and on CD, there is an index to the 1851 census available on microfiche. Pinner Local History Society have indexed the 1841-1881 censuses and the Harrow Local History collection holds copies.

Church History

Until 1766 Pinner Church was a chapel of ease to Harrow-on-the-Hill. The subsequent history of Pinner Parish is one of division and sub-division as population has grown and new parishes have been created. The number of churches of all denominations has multiplied greatly since the beginning of the twentieth century, and especially as the ancient parish became largely covered by the expanding suburbs of London. Here we attempt only to summarise the churches and parishes created up to circa 1911. For further details the Victoria County History is a good place to start. Websites for current churches can be found via

Anglican Parishes
Parish Formed from Date formed Notes
St Mary the Virgin, Harrow-on-the-Hill ancient
St John the Baptist, Pinner Harrow 1766 registers start in 1754
All Saints, Harrow Weald Harrow and small parts of Pinner and Bushey (Hertfordshire) 1844 burial register starts in 1838
Holy Trinity, Wealdstone Harrow, Harrow Weald and Pinner 1881
St Anselm, Hatch End Pinner and a small part of Harrow Weald 1895
St George, Headstone Hatch End, with small parts of Pinner and Greenhill 1911

Church Records

Prior to 1766 Pinner inhabitants may well have been recorded at Harrow. The table below lists the pre-1911 parishes and what is known of the coverage of their deposited registers. There are several indexes to marriages, but none known for baptisms or burials. Phillimore published the marriages 1654-1837, and these are aavailable at the Middlesex marriages website. Boyd's marriage index and the West Middlesex Marriage Index also cover the same period. Pallots Marriage Index covers 1790-1837.

All deposited original records are at LMA, and the appropriate call numbers can be found on the London Generations database.

Parish Baptisms Banns Marriages Burials
St Mary the Virgin, Harrow-on-the-Hill Jul 1562-Jul 1905 1754-Mar 1967 Jan 1559-Jul 1918 Nov 1558-Nov 1884
St John the Baptist, Pinner 1654-1985 1654-1812, 1950-1999 1754-May 1979 1654-Dec 1861
All Saints, Harrow Weald Dec 1838-May 1937 Oct 1845-Apr 1901, Jan 1956-May 1959, Jun 1974-Jul 1972 Dec 1845-Dec 1977 Dec 1845-Sep 1972
Holy Trinity, Wealdstone appear not to be deposited at LMA
St Anselm, Hatch End appear not to be deposited at LMA
St George, Headstone appear not to be deposited at LMA

Description and Travel

Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"PINNER, a parish and post town in the hundred of Gore, county Middlesex, 2 miles N.W. of Harrow, and 12 from London. It is a station on the London and Birmingham railway. The village is situated near a feeder of the Colne river, and on the high road to Buckinghamshire. " (There is more of this description).

Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.


Some general histories are:


Pinner fell within the Manor of Harrow Alias Sudbury. The Lord of the Manor was the Archbishop of Canterbury until the dissolution of the monasteries, when in 1544-45 the manors passed to the crown. In the post-medieval period, there were various lords, but mostly the Lords North and later the Lords Northwick. The records of the manor are deposited at the London Metropolitan Archive, though a few medieval records are also to be found at the Lambeth Palace Library. At LMA the records span the dates 1315-1913. There are surname indexes to some of the records compiled by manorial officials in the early 19th century. Details of the holdings can be found on Access to Archives (A2A) and the Manorial Documents Register (MDR). There are also significant manuscript transcripts of the manorial court rolls in the Percy Davenport Collection within the Harrow Local History Collection. A selection of the manorial records have been published in Forde, Helen, Harrow Manor Records: The Manor of Harrow 1639-1670: a miscellany (1975, Pinner and Hatch End Local Historical and Archaeological Society, vol.4).


Links to maps of Pinner and places within its boundaries.

Pinner Local History Society have an interactive history map showing the parish and linking to short acounts of various items of historical interest.


Prior to the twentieth century the major local newspapers were the Harrow Gazette and the Harrow Observer, which merged early in the 20th century. Good runs of both are to be found at the British Library Newspaper section at Colindale. The Harrow Local History collection also holds microfilm copies, as do the Brent Archives. There were also more local versions in the Pinner Gazette and Pinner Observer.


From medieval times, Harrow including Pinner was a peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and therefore outside the jurisdiction of the Bishop of London until the Middlesex peculiars were abolished in 1845. Consequently the probate jurisdiction was administered under the Deanery of Croydon. The records of this probate court are to be found at Lambeth Palace Library. An effective name index is provided for the period 1664-1841 by the catalogue including testators' names under reference AA/V/H/97 on A2A. From 1845-1858 the parish fell under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of London, and the Consistory Court of London, but the Diocesan probate courts were virtually defunct by this time and the majority of executors were seeking probate at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (PCC). Judging by the small number of Harrow wills in the A2A Catalogue, this may also have been the practice of many executors in the preceding centuries. PCC wills are catalogued online at The National Archives.

A selection of wills have been published and discussed in: Howard, A. J., Pinner wills, (1974, Pinner and Hatch End Local Historical and Archaeological Society, vol.1).

From 1858 the national probate records should be consulted. See the GenUKI page on national probate records.


The Royal Commercial Travellers School was founded in 1845 at Wanstead in Essex, it moved to a site next to the London and Northwestern Railway at Hatch End in 1855 and remained there until it closed in 1967. In 1855 the new buildings had a capacity of 140 scholars, and were extended several times over the subsequent years. Children came from all over the country to the school. The buildings are now the Harrow Arts Centre, whose Belmont Theatre Company provides a brief history. The school's records for its whole existence are at LMA.

Social Life and Customs

Pinner Fair has occurred annually for 650 years, traditionally on the Feast of St John the Baptist (24 June). PLHS have published a book about it.


Genealogical Societies
Historical Societies

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 04 Jan 2014 by Andrew Millard]

GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation Valid HTML 4.0!