Description and History from 1868 Gazetteer
PINNER, a parish and post town in the hundred of Gore, county Middlesex, 2¾ miles N.W. of Harrow, and 12½ from London. It is a station on the London and Birmingham railway. The village is situated near a feeder of the Colne river, and on the high road to Buckinghamshire.
It was formerly part of Harrow, and had a weekly market by grant of Edward III., under the Archbishops of Canterbury, who had a moated seat at Headstone. The land is partly in common, with pasture. The impropriation belongs to the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The living is a perpetual curacy* with the curacy of All Saints annexed, in the diocese of London, value £100, in the patronage of the Vicar of Harrow. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a flint structure, erected in 1321. It contains an octangular font, and tombs of lawyers Clitherow and Shower of Pinner Hill. The parochial charities produce about £41 per annum. Miss Howard's college for widows of navy and army officers and clergymen is situated in the village, and is of recent erection. Here is also the commercial travellers' school, founded in 1846, and opened by his late Royal Highness the Prince Consort in 1855. It is entirely supported by voluntary contributions. Pinner Place was formerly the seat of J. Z. Holwell, Governor of Bengal, who died here in 1798, having been one of the survivors confined in the Black Hole of Calcutta.
[Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland" (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
This description is intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated on 9 Oct 2003 by David Hawgood. ©2003]