Much of the information on this page was provided by John Henley, who regularly answers questions on mailing lists about Middlesex parishes and churches.
Here is a list of all the Anglican churches of Poplar in 1890/1905, with the dates of the parish formation if known. Original registers if not still with church are mostly deposited in the London Metropolitan Archives. See the London Generations database and enter appropriate key word (it is a fussy search-engine - for best results enter in last line one word from district name or one word from church dedication). For Borough, choose "London Borough of Tower Hamlets".
C of E Churches in Poplar in 1890, with date founded where known. They were all originally in the parish of Stepney. Bromley St. Leonard split from it in 1536; St Mary, Stratford-atte-Bow in 1719, and Poplar All Saints in 1817. The other parishes are later sub-divisions of these three. For more background information see our list of Stepney churches
I've tried to comment about their IGI status, but if you go to FamilySearch and Browse > Browse
Library Catalogue > Placename Search [enter Poplar or St George in the
East or Stepney or Bromley or Bethnal Green etc. and select the one in
Middlesex - it can be picky about the spelling of the placename , if no
luck first time try all possible variations] ] > Church Records and
Church Records-Indexes, you will see a list of all the LDS film holdings.
For batch numbers see
IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places A to M and
IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places N to Z provided by Hugh Wallis. Some churches may appear on the British Vital Records Index (BVRI - an index on CDROM available for sale from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) rather than the IGI. If on the IGI or BVRI then the LDS has a film of the registers.[which may not be complete].
ST.LEONARD (St. Mary's) (High Street) [c.1100, out of Stepney
c.1536]. The lady chapel of Benedictine convent of St. Leonard, became
the parish church 1536, destroyed by bombing and construction of
Blackwall Tunnel northern approach road. Porch and part of a wall remain.
1963 Parish united to St. Mary Bow, St. Mary.
see SAINT MARY, BROMLEY SAINT LEONARD, BROMLEY HIGH STREET, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 5 on outline map
Bromley St. Leonard, St. Andrew 
1952 parish united to previous. church, now gone.
see SAINT ANDREW, POPLAR, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 7 on outline map
Bromley, All Hallows, Devons Road [Bow
Common]  bombed 1940, rebuilt 1954-55 still open united to 'Holy
Trinity Congregation' worshipping in Bow Road Methodist Church. Bromley -
the latter appears to be from Holy Trinity Mile End Old Town, with which
the parish was united in 1989.
see ALL HALLOWS, DEVONS ROAD, DEVONS ROAD, BROMLEY BY BOW, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 6 on outline map
Bromley, St. Gabriel, Chrisp Street,
 gone? 1952 Parish united to St. Saviour Poplar and St. Stephen
see SAINT GABRIEL, CHRISP STREET, CHRISP STREET, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 8 on outline map
Bromley, St. Mary the Virgin 
Bromley, St. Michael and All Angels, St.
Leonard's Road  Closed 1975, now gone??? 1971 parish united with
All Saints w. St. Frideswide, Poplar and with St. Saviour w. St. Gabriel
& St. Stephen Poplar to form Parish of Poplar.
see SAINT MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, BROMLEY, SAINT LEONARD'S ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 9 on outline map
Bromley, All Hallows, Abbott Road, East
India Docks.  Do not confuse with Devons Road or All Saints Poplar.
Bombed. Marriage Registers finish 1947. Parish united to St Nicholas
Blackwall Stairs 1955 as St Nicholas with All Hallows,
see ALL HALLOWS, POPLAR, EAST INDIA DOCK ROAD, POPLAR, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 10 on outline map
Bromley, Christ Church, Oxford (Mission District 1884), Lodore Street [became St. Frideswide's]
Saints, Newby Place, East India Dock Road [1653 chapel-of-ease built
by the East India Company in the High Street], separate parish out of
Stepney 1821, with new parish church on new site to which registers were
transferred from the old chapel, now named St.Matthias [see below]. All
Saints' is still open [by 1958 described as being w.St.Nicholas Blackwall
and S.Frideswide East India Dock Road]; 1971 united with St. Michael
& All Angels Bromley and Poplar St. Saviour w.S.Gabriel &
S.Stephen to form Parish of Poplar. Youngs "The Parishes of England",
gives 1817 as the date of the new parish, but the building was complete
and the registers begin June 1821
see ALL SAINTS, POPLAR, EAST INDIA DOCK ROAD, POPLAR, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 14 on outline map
Poplar, Christ Church, Manchester Road,
Isle of Dogs  - still open
see CHRIST CHURCH, MANCHESTER ROAD, MANCHESTER ROAD, ISLE OF DOGS, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 17 on outline map
Poplar, S.Frideswide East India Dock Road/Lodore Street (1914) bombed WW2, closed 1947, not re-built, parish united to All Saints 1952.
Poplar, St. John, Manchester Road, Cubitt
Town  now gone?? -1952 parish united with Christ Church.
see SAINT JOHN, CUBITT TOWN, EAST FERRY ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 16 on outline map
Poplar, St. Luke, Strafford Street,
Milwall  bombed and demolished, worship in new hall-church, 1952
parish united with Christ Church
see SAINT LUKE, MILLWALL, WEST FERRY ROAD, ISLE OF DOGS, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 15 on outline map
Poplar, St. Matthias, High Street 
enclosed East India Company Chapel of 1776 replacing chapel of 1654; a
chapel of ease to Stepney until 1817, in Poplar All Saints until 1867,
when gained separate parish and registers re-commence: when in 1823 All
Saints became the parish church the registers had gone to All Saints. As
chapel, licensed for baptisms and burials from opening in 1653, but
marriages ceased from 1754 (Hardwicke's Act) until became a parish church
in 1867. Marriages take place in Stepney 1754-1821, and in All Saints
1821-1967. Still open 1966. Derelict by 1976, renovated 1991 as a
community centre - there is a long description of this church in the
"London Docklands" edition (1998) in Pevsner's "The Buildings of
see SAINT MATTHIAS, POPLAR, WOODSTOCK TERRACE, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 13 on outline map
Poplar, St. Nicholas, Blackwall Stairs
(Yabsley Street) (1900) bombed 1940 and closed 1941, not rebuilt. Mission
Church in All Saints East India Dock Road. United with All Hallows, Abbott Road 1955 to form All
Hallows, Aberfeldy Street. The LMA have an odd marriage register for
see SAINT NICHOLAS CHAPEL OF EASE, BLACKWALL STAIRS, POPLAR, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Poplar, St Nicholas with All Hallows, Aberfeldy Street. Created 1955 by uniting All Hallows, Abbott Road and St Nicholas, Blackwall Stairs. Closed 1968. Reopened 1998 and rededicated 2000, as part of the parish of All Saints, Newby Place.
Poplar, St. Saviour, Northumberland Street
[later Northumbria Street]  1952 united with Bromley St. Gabriel
& Poplar St. Stephen. 1971 united parish united to All Saints,
Poplar. 1975 church closed?
see SAINT SAVIOUR, POPLAR, NORTHUMBRIA STREET, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 11 on outline map
Poplar, St. Stephen, East India Road
 1952 united to Poplar S.Saviour and Bromley St. Gabriel.
see for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 12 on outline map
ST.MARY BOW, (Bromley by Bow, otherwise Stratford-le-Bow or Stratford-atte-Bowe - do NOT confuse with Stratford, Essex, the other (east) side of Bow Bridge, originally called Stratford Langthorne).
St. Mary, Bow Road [1311, out of Stepney
1719] sometimes simply called Bow Church [ do NOT confuse with St.
Mary-le-Bow, [Sancta Maria d'Arcubus or St. Mary of the Arches, home of
the Court of Arches, in the City of London; home of Bow Bells] damaged in
WW2 restored, still open.
see SAINT MARY STRATFORD BOW, STRATFORD BOW, POPLAR, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 4 on outline map
St. Mary Bow, St. Stephen, Tredegar Road,
Old Ford  demolished after bomb damage, 1940s.1966 parish united to
see SAINT STEPHEN, TREDEGAR ROAD, TREDEGAR ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 3 on outline map
St. Mary Bow, St. Paul, St. Paul's Road
(St. Stephen's Road) Old Ford  [do not confuse with St. Paul Bow
Common]. - still open.
see SAINT PAUL, OLD FORD, SAINT STEPHEN'S ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 2 on outline map
St. Mary Bow, St. Mark, Victoria Park (
Cadogan Terrace) rebuilt 1960s Now united with St. Paul's(previous
see SAINT MARK, VICTORIA PARK, OLD FORD ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS for registers at LMA
Parish is no. 1 on outline map
St. Mary Bow, Mission District of Christ Church, Old Ford [???]
Operative Jewish Converts' Institution ;
Poplar Union ;
Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum ;
City of London Union, Bow Road ;
Church Workers' Training Home.
The link from each parent parish leads to a GENUKI page with an 1868 Gazetteer description of the area, and link to a modern map for that location. For old maps, on-line or printed, see street and map sites list
On our page of Middlesex maps there is a section for maps recommended by John Henley for use with his lists of churches
problems, or contribute information.
[Created by David Hawgood. Last updated 31 Aug 2013 by Andrew Millard.]
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation