Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"SHEPPERTON, a parish in the hundred of Spelthorne, county Middlesex, 2 miles S.E. of Chertsey, its post town, and 4 S.E. of Staines. It is the terminus of the Thames valley branch of the London and South Western railway. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the banks of the Thames, and is chiefly agricultural. In Domesday Survey Shepperton is spelled Scepertone, and was at that time held by Westminster Abbey, but afterwards came to the Beauchamps. It is a resort for anglers. The parish comprises the hamlet of Lower Halliford. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of London, value £499. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. There are ruins of a seat at Wall Closes. An oaken canoe 12 feet in length was discovered near the river bank in 1812, about seven feet from the surface."
"LOWER HALLIFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Shepperton, county Middlesex, 2 miles W. of Chertsey, situated on the banks of the Thames.
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Shepperton and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation