Description and History from 1868 Gazetteer
SOUTH MIMMS, a parish in the hundred of Edmonton, county Middlesex, 4 miles N.W. of Chipping Barnet, its post town, and 2 W. of the Potter's Bar station on the Great Northern railway. The parish, which is of large extent, is situated near Gladsmoor Heath and Enfield Chase, including the village of Potter's Bar, and part of Barnet.
It is a district for the 'S' division of Metropolitan police. Mimms, formerly called Mymes, Mymmys, &c., came through the Leuknors, Scropes, and Windsors, to the Marquis of Salisbury. A great portion of the land is woody, with warren, and about half in pasture; the remainder is chiefly in gardens, orchards, and common. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of London, value £310. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, stands near the high road. It is of great antiquity, and has a square tower at the W. end mantled in ivy. The interior of the church contains a piscina, font, effigies, and two brasses; one of Hill, a former vicar, and the other of a Fowyk, who founded a chantry here. In addition to the parish church there are two district churches, viz: St. John's, Potter's Bar, and Christ Church, Barnet, the livings of both which are perpetual curacies The church of St. John was erected in the village of Potter's Bar in 1835 by subscription, but chiefly by George Byng, Esq., M.P. Christ Church is a flint structure, with stone covnes and dressings, and has a turret at the W. end. It was erected at an outlay of nearly £5,000, by Captain John Trotter, of Derham Park. There are National schools for both sexes, also a British school. Derham Park and Wrotham Park are the principal residences. The charities consist chiefly of almshouses, among which may be mentioned, the Leather-sellers of the City of London situated in Union-street, near Chipping Barnet, and the Brewers, for six poor widows, situated near the church; also other almshouses contributed to by the parishioners. A market for cattle and merchandise is held on Wednesday at the "Green Man" inn.
[Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland" (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
This description is intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated on 9 Oct 2003 by David Hawgood. ©2003]