Outline map of Parishes in 1903
Anglican churches in Marylebone in 1890 - we have a list prepared by John Henley. It has some information on records, whether churches are still open, and where they are. The ancient parish of St. Marylebone was split into many smaller ones as London grew.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ST. MARYLEBONE, a parish and parliamentary borough in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, forming the north-western portion of the metropolis, about 2½ miles N.W. by W. of St. Paul's. It is intersected by the London and North-Western and Under-ground railways, which have several stations in the parish, and by the Regent's canal. It derives its name from the small burn, or bourne, which also gave name to Eyeburn, or Tyburn, and formerly filled reservoirs, whence London was partly supplied with water, and fell into the Thames near Vauxhall Bridge, but has its course now underground. It is bounded by Cleveland-street and the Regent's Park on the E., by the Edgware-road on the W., by Oxford-street on the S., and by Primrose-hill and the Queen's-road on the N., and includes the new suburbs of St. John's Wood, Portland Town, &c." (There is more of this description).<\p>
"MAIDA VALE, (or Maida Hill) a hamlet and suburban district in the parishes of St. Marylebone and Paddington, hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, about 3 miles N.W. of St. Paul's, London. The Grand Junction canal passes through the neighbourhood. It is now a fashionable suburb of London, containing many villa residences.
[1868 Gazetteer called it Maida Hill, 1888 and 2003 maps show it as Maida Vale.]
"PORTLAND TOWN, a suburban district in the parish and borough of St. Marylebone, county Middlesex, 3 miles W. by N. of St. Paul's, London. It is situated on the farther side of the Regent's Park. There is a church built by Daukes in 1849, and dedicated to St. Stephen.
[On a 1903 map, it is a substantial area between the N.W. corner of Regent's Park and St. John's Wood.]"
"ST. JOHN'S WOOD, a suburban district in the parish and borough of St. Marylebone, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 3½ miles W.N.W. of St. Paul's, London. " (There is more of this description).
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
During the 18th century, St Marylebone parish grew to become one of the wealthiest in London. The church on Marylebone High Street, built 1742, was soon too small to serve this population and relocated in 1817. Archaeological excvaations in 1992 and 2004-6 at the site of the 18th century church recorded 350+ burials, mostly in the graveyard, with some in family vaults or the church crypt. The archaeological results and detailed osteological analysis of 301 individuals were combined with documentary research into the parish and its population, making this one of the largest and most comprehensive studies of a post-medieval London cemetery. This is published as St Marylebone Church and burial ground in the 18th to 19th centuries: excavations at St Marylebone School, 1992 and 2004-6 by Adrian Miles, Natasha Powers, Robin Wroe-Brown, with Don Walker. Museum of London Archaeology Monograph Series. 978-1-901992-79-3.
Links to maps of St Marylebone and places within its boundaries.
Outline map of Parishes in 1903 - parishes are numbered, with list showing names.
For St Marylebone, but not for other deaneries of Middlesex, we have maps which display parish names on map in larger typeface. Alphabetic and numbered lists link to maps, for example St Mark, Upper Hamilton Terrace which then link to each other.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 22 Dec 2012 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation