Description and History from 1868 Gazetteer
CAMDEN TOWN, a suburban district in the parish of St. Pancras, and borough of Marylebone, in the county of Middlesex, 3 miles to the N.W. of St. Paul's. It is situated on the E. side of Regent's Park, forming part of the north-western suburbs of London.
Here is a station of the London and North-Western railway, and a very extensive depot, with stationary engines, great ranges of workshops, coke-ovens, &c., covering more than 30 acres. Camden Town has two stations, one at Chalk Farm and the other at Camden-road, on the North London and Hampstead Junction railways, which meet here. It took its present name, about the end of the last century, from Marquis Camden, who held the manor of Cantelows, within which it stands. It contains now many spacious and regularly built streets, paved and lighted with gas, and is gradually spreading northwards towards Holloway. Camden-road extends above a mile between the Hampstead and Holloway roads, and contains a great number of handsome and pleasant villa residences, some of which have views towards Hampstead and Highgate hills. The inhabitants are supplied with water by the New River Company. In College-street is the Royal Veterinary College, instituted in 1791, and comprising a lecture-hall, school-room, museum, and infirmary. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of London, value £260, in the patronage of the Vicar of St. Pancras. The church, which stands in Camden-street, was built in 1828, and has an Ionic portico at the W. end. An elegant new church has been erected in Camden-square, dedicated to St. Paul. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £350, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. In Camden-street are the cemetery and chapel and nine almshouses belonging to the parish of St. Martin's-in-the-Fields. There are also almshouses for 7 0 persons, founded and endowed by the late Mr. Cotterill, the revenue of which exceeds £1,700 per annum. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and large National schools. St. Martin's cemetery is the burial-place of Charles Dibden and Sir J. Barrow. Elm Lodge, near King's-road, is the seat of the Agars, by whom Agar Town was founded.
[Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland" (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
This description is intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated on 9 Oct 2003 by David Hawgood. ©2003]