Description and History from 1868 Gazetteer
KENTISH-TOWN, a suburban district and hamlet in the parish of St. Pancras and borough of Marylebone, county Middlesex, 3 miles N.W. of St. Paul's.
It is a station on the Kew section of the North London railway. It was anciently called. Kentistonne, and now constitutes the prebend of Kaunteloe or Cantelows, in St. Paul's Cathedral. The greater part of the land is held under lease by the Marquis Camden through the Jeffreys. The town consists chiefly of a line of buildings extending along the road from Camden Town to Highgate Rise, and several good streets recently formed. To the S. passes the Paddington canal, on the banks of which are coal wharves, &c., also both sections of the North London railway. It contains the Governesses' Benevolent Institution, built by Wyatt in 1849, assembly rooms, police station, casino, and a brewery. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of London, value £300, in the patronage of the Vicar of St. Pancras. The church is a modern building, with two pointed towers. There is another church recently built, dedicated to the Holy Trinity; also places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, &c. There are National, British, and other schools.
[Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland" (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
This description is intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated on 9 Oct 2003 by David Hawgood. ©2003]