Most information on this page was provided by John Henley, who regularly answers questions on mailing lists about Middlesex parishes and churches. There are some additions by David Hawgood.
St Pancras old church has been there since Roman times (314), has a 6th.cent altar stone and some Norman features though heavily "restored" since. Entering the postcode NW1 1UL at http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ should find it for you. St Pancras Old Church ceased to be the parish church of St Pancras in 1822 when the St.Pancras New Church was opened and became a chapel of ease in the parish of St.Pancras.. In the 1852 Old St.Pancras was assigned a parish again, known as Old St.Pancras. For an unknown period from 1863 it was known as Pancras Parish Chapel, befor reverting to Old St.Pancras again. It has a website. The LDS rather confusingly continues to call the registers for St.Pancras New, St Pancras Old.
St.Pancras parish (which ended up with 33 ecclesiastical parishes by 1890) was a unit of civil government, a Vestry until 1900, becoming the Metropolitan Borough of St.Pancras, and then part of the London Borough of Camden in 1965. It was the seventh most populated borough [1881 - 236,000] in England, although not very large geographically.
This list of St.Pancras churches 1890 may help, with date founded where known. St Pancras is the original parent parish of all. The presence of a number of chapels of ease in St.Pancras parish (before division) means that baptism which took place in these appear to have been entered up from time to time in the main registers in blocks, out of date order with the main run.
Original registers if not still with church are mostly deposited in the London Metropolitan Archives. Search within London Borough of Camden. For most parishes we give below the name used in the LMA database. For others, it helps to set a narrow range of dates and just one or two words of the dedication or location.
I've tried to comment about their IGI status, but if you go to FamilySearch and Browse > Browse
Library Catalogue > Placename Search and enter St Pancras and select
St Pancras, Middlesex - it is VERY picky about the spelling of
St.Pancras, if no luck fist time try all possible variations - Saint
Pancras, StPancras, Pancras, and so on] > Church Records and Church
Records-Indexes, you will see a list of all the LDS film holdings. Batch
numbers were at this site
http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/nzsoghamilton/batchnumbers.htm but now see
IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places A to M and
IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places N to Z provided by Hugh Wallis. Some churches may appear on the British Vital Records Index (BVRI - an index on CDROM available for sale from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) rather than the IGI. If on the IGI or BVRI then the LDS has a film of the registers.[which may not be complete].
The link from the parent parish leads to a GENUKI page with an 1868 Gazetteer description of the area, and link to a modern map for that location. For old maps, on-line or printed, see street and map sites list
[New] St Pancras, Euston Road, [1822 -
when opened replaced Old St Pancras as parish church of all St.Pancras -
see above notes] - IGI. Still in use
SAINT PANCRAS PARISH CHURCH, EUSTON ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 29 on outline map
St Pancras - detached part. An area of
Hampstead Heath and the Kenwood Estate were in 1903 part of the parish of
area is no. 02 on outline map
Old St.Pancras, Pancras Road [now
St.Pancras Way]. [Roman? - see note above] Still in use
SAINT PANCRAS OLD CHURCH, PANCRAS ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 20 on outline map
All Hallows, Shirlock Street, Gospel Oak
. Also called 'North St.Pancras' still in use
Parish is no. 4 on outline map
All Saints, [Gordon Street] Gordon
Square, St.Pancras  gone 1909???.
ALL SAINTS, SAINT PANCRAS, GORDON STREET, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 28 on outline map
All Saints, Camden Town, Camden Street
[originally called Camden Chapel, 1824, separate parish 1852] from 1948
All Saints' Greek Orthodox Cathedral, 1954 parish united to St.Michael's,
ALL SAINTS, CAMDEN TOWN, CAMDEN STREET, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 17 on outline map
Barracks Chapel, Albany Street, Regent's Park [non-parochial].
Christ Church, Albany Street (Redhill
Street )  church now St.George's Greek Orthodox Cathedral, parish
now united with S.Mary Mag, Munster Square.
CHRIST CHURCH, ALBANY STREET, ALBANY STREET, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 18 on outline map
Christ Church, Chalton Street, Somers
Town. Church opened in 1868 as a replacement for St Luke, Euston Road, which was
demolished during the construction of St Pancras Station. Christ Church
appears to have inherited a few records from St Luke.
Parish created from All Saints Kings Cross (All Saints
Battle Bridge), remainder of that parish was in Islington in 1903.
CHRIST CHURCH, SOMERS TOWN, CHALTON STREET, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 24 on outline map
Foundling Hospital Chapel, Guilford Street [non-parochial] - baptisms.
Holy Cross, Cromer Street, Gray's Inn
Road [district chapelry, 1876 parish 1888] still in use. 1935 parish
united to St.Jude and St.Peter.
Parish is no. 30 on outline map
Holy Trinity, Clarence Way, Haverstock
Hill  still in use
HOLY TRINITY, HAVERSTOCK HILL, CLARENCE WAY, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 13 on outline map
There is a page describing the church and its history.
Trinity Gray's Inn Road, Holborn, church and burial ground only, no.
33 on outline map. The main area of the parish
is no 35 on outline map, originally in the historic parish of Holborn
rather than St. Pancras.
HOLY TRINITY, GRAYS INN ROAD, GRAYS INN ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
St.Andrew, Maldon Road, Haverstock Hill
 blitzed and demolished 1955. 1953 Parish united to St.Martin.
SAINT ANDREW, HAVERSTOCK HILL, HAVERSTOCK HILL, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 8 on outline map
Mission Church of Good Shepherd [mission church to above]
St.Silas, Shipton Place (now St.Silas Place) Prince of Wales Road/Maldon
Road  still in use, parish
website has photos
and history of nearby churches in South Camden deanery.
Parish was part of St Andrew which is no. 8 on outline map
St.Anne, Brookfield, Highgate Rise (now
Highgate West Hill)  still in use
Parish is no. 3 on outline map
St.Barnabas, Kentish Town Road [1880/84]
from 1957 St.Andrew's Greek Orthodox Cathedral, 1957 parish united with
Holy Trinity Clarence Way.
SAINT BARNABAS, KENTISH TOWN, PRINCE OF WALES ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 10 on outline map
St.Benet and All Saints Lady Margaret
Road, Kentish,Town. [1881/85] still in use
Parish is no. 7 on outline map
St.Mary, Brookfield, Dartmouth Park Hill
[1875/77] still in use
Parish is no. 6 on outline map
St.Bartholomew, Gray's Inn Road [1860 ]
destroyed in blitz. 1959 parish united to St.George the Martyr (see
SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, SAINT PANCRAS, GRAYS INN ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 34 on outline map. Note that no. 33 on map was the church and burial ground of Holy Trinity Holborn, a detached part surrounded by St. Bartholomew.
St. James, Hampstead Road [1791,
cemetery chapel for St.James Piccadilly's "new" cemetery, parish church
1864] now demolished. 1954 parish united to [New] St.Pancras.
SAINT JAMES, SAINT PANCRAS, HAMPSTEAD ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish section is no. 22 on outline map
Kentish Town Parish Church [St.John the
Baptist] Highgate Road [from 1449-1784 the Kentish Town chapel-of-ease to
St.Pancras stood in Kentish Town Road (site at nos.205-213) replaced in
1784 by this church in Highgate Road which became a separate parish in
1863. The building was made redundant in 1993 and is now used by the
Christ Apostolic Church UK.
SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, KENTISH TOWN, HIGHGATE ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 5 on outline map
St. John Evangelist, Charlotte Street,
Fitzroy Square. Built 1846. [1852 'Upper
Charlotte Street', from 1868 'Fitzroy Square St.John']. 1913 parish
united with St. Saviour, Fitzroy Square. Badly damaged by a flying
bomb 25 Mar 1945. It is described in the Survey
of London: volume 21.
SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHARLOTTE STREET, CHARLOTTE STREET, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 27 on outline map
St.Jude, Gray's Inn Road [1847, 1863]
closed 1935, demolished 1936. Parish united to Holy Cross. Some of the
fittings went to Holy Cross.
SAINT JUDE, GRAYS INN ROAD, GRAYS INN ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 31 on outline map
St Luke, Oseney Crescent, New Kentish
Town  1956 parish united to St.Paul Camden Square.Church
SAINT LUKE, OSENEY CRESCENT, OSENEY CRESCENT, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 11 on outline map
St Mark, (Prince) Albert Road, Regents
Park  still in use
SAINT MARK, REGENT'S PARK, PRINCE ALBERT ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 15 on outline map
St.Martin, Vicar's Road, Kentish Town
 still in use
SAINT MARTIN, KENTISH TOWN, VICARS ROAD, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 9 on outline map
St.Mary Magdalene, Munster Square 
Still in use
SAINT MARY MAGDALENE, SAINT PANCRAS, MUNSTER SQUARE, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 25 on outline map
St.Mary Somers Town (Seymour Street,
Euston Square, Eversholt Street)  still in use
SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, SOMERS TOWN, EVERSHOLT STREET, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 23 on outline map
St.Matthew, Oakley Square, Bedford New
Town  1956 parish united to Old St.Pancras.Church demolished
SAINT MATTHEW, SAINT PANCRAS, OAKLEY SQUARE, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 19 on outline map
St Michael, Camden Road  still in
Parish is no. 16 on outline map
St.Paul, Camden Square, Camden New Town
[1869?] still in use, replaced by modern 1970s hall-church
SAINT PAUL, SAINT PANCRAS, CAMDEN SQUARE, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 12 on outline map
St.Peter, Regent Square [1826,district
chapelry 1851,separate parish 1868] blitzed. 1954 parish united to Holy
SAINT PETER, REGENT SQUARE, REGENT SQUARE, CAMDEN Parish is no. 32 on outline map
St. Saviour, London Street, located on
north side of Maple Street at its junction with Whitfield Street. Opened 1788
as Fitzroy Chapel, separate parish 1863 as St. Saviour, Fitzroy Square, in
1913 attached to St. John the Evangelist, Charlotte
Street, destroyed in an air-raid 1945. It is described in the Survey
of London: volume 21.
SAINT SAVIOUR, SAINT PANCRAS, MAPLE STREET, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 26 on outline map
St.Thomas, Agar Town [Wrotham Road]
 damaged in war. Now demolished. 1954 Parish united to St.Michael's
SAINT THOMAS, AGAR TOWN, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 14 on outline map
St.Michael, Highgate The parish was
formed in 1834, partly from St. Pancras and partly from Hornsey. In 1903
this parish was in the Hornsey deanery. In 1903 the southern area was the
only part of the Hornsey deanery within the County of London. See also
description of Highgate
SAINT MICHAEL, HIGHGATE, SOUTH GROVE, CAMDEN in LMA database
Parish is no. 01 on outline map
On our page of Middlesex maps there is a section for maps recommended by John Henley for use with his lists of churches
problems, or contribute information.
Web page originally prepared by David Hawgood, ©2003, from information supplied by John Henley. Last modified 10 Dec 2011 by Andrew Millard.