NEW GROUND. In the 18th century St Pancras' churchyard (now Old St Pancras) was expanded to the "new ground" south of the existing churchyard. This churchyard was closed in 1854, but by the mid-1860s was disturbed for the construction of the Midland Railway into St Pancras Station. The parts disturbed has not been used for 32 years, but there was a public outcry. The Bishop of London appointed the architect Arthur Blomfield to oversee the exhumation and reburial of the bodies, and Blomfield delegated the task to his student, Thomas Hardy. A number of headstones were relocated around a tree now known as Hardy's tree. Another part of the burial ground was disturbed in 2002-3 for construction of the Channel Tunnel Rail link and its terminus. An account of these excavations is given in British Archaeology no. 88 (May/June 2006) (note that the official online version has none of the informative illustrations and captions of the paper version). Many tombstones and coffin plates were recorded, and hopefully will be listed in the final publication describing the excavations.
Parishes in St. Pancras Rural Deanery in 1903
Outline map of Parishes in 1903
Anglican churches in St. Pancras in 1890/1905 - we have a list prepared by John Henley. It has some information on records, whether churches are still open, and where they are. The ancient parishes were split into many smaller ones as London grew.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"ST. PANCRAS, a parish and extensive suburban district of London, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone and borough of Marylebone, county Middlesex, 2½ miles N.W. of St. Paul's. It contains the Euston-square terminus of the London and North-Western railway; the King's-cross terminus of the Great Northern; the new terminus of the Midland Counties railway, now in course of construction; the Chalk-farm junction station of the North London, West London Extension, and London and North-Western lines; also the several stations on the North London and Metropolitan lines. This important parish comprises 2,600 acres, lying between Maiden-lane, Tavistock-square, Regent's-park, Primrose-hill, and Caen-wood, and includes the populous hamlets of Camden, Kentish, and Somers' towns, King's-cross, and parts of Haverstock-hill and Highgate. " (There is more of this description).
"AGAR TOWN, a hamlet in the parish of St. Pancras, in the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, 2 miles to the N.W. of St. Paul's, London. It lies between the Great Northern and North London railways, and the Regent's canal; and was named after its founder, W. Agar, Esq., of Elm Lodge. [The Encyclopaeddia of London (1993) says it was demolished to make way for St. Pancras Station.]"
"BAGNIGGE WELLS, a district in the parish of St. Pancras, Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, formerly famed for some mineral springs. Now included in the general designation of London. [A stone marking its location is at 61-63 Kings Cross Road - note in 2003.]"
"CAMDEN TOWN, a suburban district in the parish of St. Pancras, and borough of Marylebone, in the county of Middlesex, 3 miles to the N.W. of St. Paul's. It is situated on the E. side of Regent's Park, forming part of the north-western suburbs of London. " (There is more of this description).
"EAST PARK VILLAGE, (and West Park Village) a small suburb of London , situated in the Regent's Park, county Middlesex, 3 miles N.W. of St. Paul's. [Historically this area was in St. Pancras, from 1837 it was in Christ Church, Albany Street.]
"KENTISH-TOWN, a suburban district and hamlet in the parish of St. Pancras and borough of Marylebone, county Middlesex, 3 miles N.W. of St. Paul's. " (There is more of this description).
"KING'S CROSS, a suburb of London, in the parish of St. Pancras, in the Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone and borough of Marylebone, county Middlesex, 1½ mile N. of St. Paul's. Here is the terminus of the Great Northern railway, with a spacious hotel adjoining, built near the site of the small-pox hospital, which has been removed to Upper Holloway."
"SOMERS TOWN, a chapelry in the parish of St. Pancras, county Middlesex, 2 miles N.W. of St. Paul's Cathedral, London. This place, about 40 years ago, was built over, and became a populous suburb. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London, value £400, in the patronage of the vicar. The church is a modern edifice. See Pancras, St."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of St Pancras and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation