GENUKI London and Middlesex have moved to www.genuki.org.uk
You will be redirected to the new site
Anglican Churches in Stepney, Middlesex in 1890
Information on this page was provided by John Henley, who regularly
answers questions on mailing lists about Middlesex parishes and churches.
This page has his information for the whole of the original parish of
Stepney. We now have lists for Stepney, Bethnal Green and Poplar, combining the information from this
page with links to outline maps showing locations of parishes.
Here is a list of all the Anglican churches of Stepney in 1890/1905, with
the dates of the parish formation if known. Original registers if not
still with church are mostly deposited in the London Metropolitan
Archives. See the
London Generations database, and enter appropriate key word (it is a
fussy search-engine - for best results enter in last line one word from
district name or one word from church dedication).
C of E Churches in Stepney in 1890: . with date founded where known.
Stepney is the original parent parish of all, and the first-named in each
group, parent parish to those within it.
Additional note: Parishes soon became a convenient unit for the Crown to
use for civil administration, but after about 1840 division of parishes
was not followed automatically by the division of the coterminous civil
parish. In the case of Stepney, nine hamlets (whence the name of the
modern London Borough, Tower Hamlets) are listed in Hatton's New View of
London (1708) - Spitalfields, Bethnal Green, Mile End New Town, Mile End
Old Town, Stratford-le-Bow, Ratcliff, Limehouse, Poplar, & Blackwall.
By 1708 some of these were already separate parishes. Stepney's history,
with its proximity to the City, is especially convoluted. The original
four hamlets were Ratcliff, Poplar, Limehouse (separate parish 1720) ,
and Mile End (+Stratford-le-Bow (church 1311, parish 1719) by the 16th
century), Whitechapel having been created as a parish out of Stepney as
early as 1329; Bromley St. Leonard c.1536, and out of Whitechapel came
the hamlet of Wapping-on-the-Wose, later Wapping (chapel of ease 1617,
parish 1694). Then out of Ratcliff (not a parish until 1838) came the
hamlets of Shadwell (1645, parish 1670), Wapping-Stepney (or St. George's
in the East) (1670,parish 1728); out of Poplar (separate parish 1817)
came Blackwall and the Isle of Dogs (never separate civil parishes); out
of Mile End came Bethnal Green (1597, parish 1746), Sipitalfields (1662,
parish 1729); and Mile End New Town (1691, parish 1838); leaving Mile End
Old Town (parish, 1840). By 1890, there were some 67 parishes. Now there
are only 23. For civil administration most of the parishes founded before
1837 also became civil parishes. The county was Middlesex until 1890,
then the new County of London. The parishes and vestries became part of
Boroughs in 1900 - Bethnal Green - Bethnal Green group, Stepney - Stepney
group, + Limehouse, Mile End New Town, Ratcliff, Shadwell, Spitalfields,
St. George-in-the-East , Wapping, Whitechapel; Poplar - Poplar, Bromley
St. Leonard, St. Mary Bow. In 1965 all these M.B.s became part of the new
London Borough of Tower Hamlets, almost if not entirely co-terminous with
the original parish of Stepney!.
A good site for more info on this area is the East of London Family History Society.
I've tried to comment about their IGI status, but if you go to FamilySearch and Browse > Browse
Library Catalogue > Placename Search [enter Poplar or St George in the
East or Stepney or Bromley or Bethnal Green etc. and select the one in
Middlesex - it can be picky about the spelling of the placename , if no
luck first time try all possible variations] ] > Church Records and
Church Records-Indexes, you will see a list of all the LDS film holdings.
Batch numbers were at this site
http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/nzsoghamilton/batchnumbers.htm but now see
IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places A to M and
IGI Batch Numbers, Middlesex and London, places N to Z provided by
Hugh Wallis. Some churches may appear on the British Vital Records Index
(BVRI - an index on CDROM available for sale from the Church of Jesus
Christ of Latter-day Saints) rather than the IGI. If on the IGI or BVRI
then the LDS has a film of the registers.[which may not be complete].
BETHNAL GREEN, St. Matthew, Church Row [out of Stepney 1746] bombed in
WW2 and restored. still open
- Bethnal Green, City of London Hospital for Diseases of the Chest
Chapel, St. James's Road, non-parochial
- Bethnal Green, Jew's Episcopal Chapel, Palestine Place, non-parochial
- Bethnal Green, St. Andrew, Viaduct Street [1841/43] 1958 Parish to
St. Matthew's.Church demolished???
- Bethnal Green, St. Barnabas, Grove Road, Bow , originally
non-conformist(1865), bombed 1942, rebuilt 1957,still open
- Bethnal Green, St. Bartholomew, Coventry Street  repaired after
war damage, re-opened 1951/55.
- Bethnal Green, St. James the Great, Bethnal Green Road  Church
closed 1981, redeveloped as flats, 1983. Parish united to St. Matthew's.
- Bethnal Green, St. James the Less, St. James's Road . Blitzed,
restored 1950-1961, still open.
- Bethnal Green, St. John, Cambridge Road (now Cambridge Heath Road)
[1818, separate parish 1837]still open
- Bethnal Green, St. Jude, Old Bethnal Green Road , 1951 parish
united to St. James the Great. Church gone,
- Bethnal Green, St. Matthias, Hare Street [1844/48], 1951 parish
united to St. Matthew's Church gone.
- Bethnal Green, St. Paul, Virginia Row [1852/1865], 1951 parish united
to St. Matthew's. Church gone,
- Bethnal Green, St. Peter, St. Peter's Street , still open
- Bethnal Green, St. Phillip, Mount Street [1842/3], 1951 parish united
to St. Matthew's. Church closed 1952. became a furniture store, now
gone?, some glass to St. Matthew's.
- Bethnal Green, St. Simon Zelotes, Morpeth Street , , 1936
parish united to St. Anthony, Stepney. 1951 this par united to St.
John's. Church gone
- Bethnal Green, St. Thomas, Baroness Road [1844/51], demolished war
damage. 1951 parish united to St. Peter's
BROMLEY ST.LEONARD (St. Mary's) (High Street) [c.1100, out of Stepney
c.1536]. The lady chapel of Benedictine convent of St. Leonard, became
the parish church 1536, destroyed by bombing and construction of
Blackwall Tunnel northern approach road. Porch and part of a wall remain.
1963 Parish united to St. Mary Bow, St. Mary.
- Bromley St. Leonard, St. Andrew  1952 parish united to
previous. church, now gone.
- Bromley, All Hallows, Devons Road  bombed 1940, rebuilt 1954-55
still open united to 'Holy Trinity Congregation' worshipping in Bow Road
Methodist Church. Bromley - the latter appears to be from Holy Trinity
Mile End Old Town, with which the parish was united in 1989.
- Bromley, St. Gabriel, Chrisp Street,  gone? 1952 Parish united
to St. Saviour Poplar and St. Stephen Poplar
- Bromley, St. Mary the Virgin 
- Bromley, St. Michael and All Angels, St. Leonard's Road  Closed
1975, now gone??? 1971 parish united with All Saints w. St. Frideswide,
Poplar and with St. Saviour w. St. Gabriel & St. Stephen Poplar to
form Parish of Poplar.
- Bromley, All Hallows, Abbott Road, East India Docks.  Do not
confuse with Devons Road or All Saints Poplar. Bombed. Marriage Registers
finish 1947. Rebuilt 1955 as hall-church [?] known as St. Nicholas w. All
Hallows, Aberfeldy Street. 1960 closed?? now gone?? 1952 parish divided
between Poplar All Saints w. St. Frideswide and Bromley St. Michael &
- Bromley, Christ Church, Oxford (Mission District 1884), Lodore Street
[became St. Frideswide's]
LIMEHOUSE, St. Anne, Commercial Road [out of Stepney 1720] still open
- Limehouse, St. James, Butcher Row, Ratcliff  damaged in WW2, ,
Royal Foundation of St. Katherine moved to site from Regent's Park, 1952,
1951 parish united to St. Paul, Shadwell.
- Limehouse, St. John the Evangelist, Limehouse Fields  Bombed
1940. Church gone? 1951 parish united to St. Matthew Stepney. 1956 united
parish abolished and divided between Stepney St. Dunstan w.All Saints and
Limehouse St. Anne .
- Limehouse, St. Peter, Garford Street [1885/87] restored 1961. Closed
1968, demolished 1980s. 1971 parish united to St. Anne's
MILE END NEW TOWN, All Saints, Buxton Street  Closed 1951 and -
demolished -when?? 1951 united parish united to Spitalfields Christ
- Mile End New Town, St. Olave, Hanbury Street  - Closed 1914 and
parish united to previous.
MILE END OLD TOWN - see under Stepney.
POPLAR, All Saints, East India Dock Road [with the church at St.
Matthias, chapel of ease in Stepney 1653, separate parish out of Stepney
1817, this became the parish church on completion 1823.] -still open.
1952 parish united with St. Frideswide [by 1958 described as being w.St.
Nicholas Blackwall and S.Frideswide East India Dock Road ]; 1971 united
with St. Michael & AA.Bromley and Poplar St. Saviour w.S.Gabriel
& S.Stephen to form Parish of Poplar.
- Poplar, Christ Church, Manchester Road, Isle of Dogs  - still
- Poplar, S.Frideswide East India Dock Road/Lodore Street (1914) bombed
WW2, closed 1947, not re-built, parish united to All Saints 1952.
- Poplar, St. John, Manchester Road, Cubitt Town  now gone??
-1952 parish united with Christ Church.
- Poplar, St. Luke, Strafford Street, Milwall  bombed and
demolished, worship in new hall-church, 1952 parish united with Christ
- Poplar, St. Matthias, High Street  enclosed East India Company
Chapel of 1776 replacing chapel of 1654, a chapel of ease to Stepney
until 1817: when in 1823 All Saints became the parish church the
registers went to All Saints] - perhaps someone knows what has happened
to this??? Still open 1966
- Poplar, St. Nicholas, Blackwall Stairs (Yabsley Street( (1900) bombed
1940 and closed 1941, not rebuilt. Mission Church in All Saints East
India Dock Road. The LMA have an odd marriage register for June 1967!!!
- Poplar, St. Saviour, Northumberland Street [later Northumbria Street]
 1952 united with Bromley St. Gabriel & Poplar St. Stephen.
1971 united parish united to All Saints, Poplar. 1975 church closed?
- Poplar, St. Stephen, East India Road  1952 united to Poplar
S.Saviour and Bromley St. Gabriel.
ST.GEORGE'S-IN-THE-EAST, St. George in the East, Cannon Street Road [out
of Stepney 1729] bombed 1941, smaller church built in shell of old,
opened 1954. - still open
- St. George's-in-the-East, Christ Church, Watney Street  - now
gone?? 1951 Parish united to St. George's
- St. George's-in-the-East, St. John the Evangelist-in-the-East, Grove
Street  -now gone??? 1951 Parish united to St. George's
- St. George's-in-the-East, St. Mary. Johnson Street (Cable Street)
 still open
- St. George's-in-the-East, St. Matthew Pell Street, Princes Square
 - now gone??? 1890 parish united to St. George-in-the-East.
- St. George's-in-the-East, St. Peter, Old Gravel Lane, London Docks [
1866] still open
- St. George's-in-the-East, St. Saviour's Mission [?]
- ST.MARY BOW, (Bromley by Bow, otherwise Stratford-le-Bow or
Stratford-atte-Bowe - do NOT confuse with Stratford, Essex, the other
(east) side of Bow Bridge, originally called Stratford Langthorne).
- St. Mary, Bow Road [1311, out of Stepney 1719] sometimes simply
called Bow Church [ do NOT confuse with St. Mary-le-Bow, [Sancta Maria
d'Arcubus or St. Mary of the Arches, home of the Court of Arches, in the
City of London; home of Bow Bells] damaged in WW2 restored, still open.
- St. Mary Bow, St. Stephen, Tredegar Road, Old Ford  demolished
after bomb damage, 1940s.1966 parish united to next.
- St. Mary Bow, St. Paul, St. Paul's Road (St. Stephen's Road) Old Ford
 [do not confuse with St. Paul Bow Common]. - still open.
- St. Mary Bow, St. Mark, Victoria Park ( Cadogan Terrace)
rebuilt 1960s Now united with St. Paul's(previous entry)
- St. Mary Bow, Mission District of Christ Church, Old Ford [???]
SHADWELL, St. Paul, High Street [1656, out of Stepney 1669] still open
SPITALFIELDS, Christ Church, Commercial Street [out of Stepney 1729]
- Spitalfields, St. Mary, Church Passage, Spital Square  now
gone. 1911 parish united to previous.
- Spitalfields, St. Stephen, Commercial Street  now gone. 1911
parish united to previous
STEPNEY, St. Dunstan, (St. Dunstan & All Saints)White Horse Street
[the mediĉval parish church of Stepney] - still open
- Stepney, Cologne Street Mission [18??] [in previous parish] - long
- Stepney, Holy Trinity, (Morgan Street) Tredegar Square (MILE END OLD
TOWN)  [now worshipping at Bow Road Methodists] c.1990 Parish
united to Bromley All Hallows, Devons Road.
- Stepney, Christ Church, Jamaica Street  1951 Parish divided
between Stepney S.Augustine w.S.Philip and Stepney St. Dunstan and All
Saints w. S.Thomas & S.Faith. Church now gone ??
- Stepney, St. Augustine, Settle Street (Commercial Road [1879/80]
bombed 1940 . 1951 parish united to St. Phiip the Apostle.
- Stepney, St. Benet, Mile End Road (MILE END OLD TOWN) [1870/73]
bombed 1940 now chapel of Queen Mary's College[?]. 1951 parish united to
St. Peter Cephas Street
- Stepney, St. Luke, Burdett Road  church blitzed WW2 and
demolished. 1951 united to St. Paul's, Burdett Road as Bow Common St.
Paul w.St. Luke parish
- Stepney, St. Matthew, Commercial Road/Salmon Lane  Church
closed 1955. - now gone?? 1951 parish united to Limehouse Fields St.
John.1956 united parish abolished and divided between Stepney St. Dunstan
w.All Saints and Limehouse St. Anne .
- Stepney, St. Paul, Burdett Road, Bow Common [1856/58] blitzed WW2,
rebuilt 1960 - still open
- Stepney, St. Peter. St. Peter's Road / Cephas Street [1838/40] stiil
open 1978, now closed, building gone ??
- Stepney, St. Anthony, Globe Road  1936 Parish united to Bethnal
Green St. Simon Zelotes.Church now gone???
- Stepney, St. Philip the Apostle, New Road (Stepney Way)/Newark Street
[1819, parish 1837] rebuilt 1892 as magnificent vaulted church.the
largest church in Stepney 1951 parish united to St. Augustine's Closed
1979, in 1988 it became the Medical Library for the Royal London
- Stepney, St. Thomas, Arbour Square  bombed 1940 closed 1940
church gone?, 1951 parish united to St. Dunstans.
- Stepney, Emmanuel Mission
WAPPING, St. John, Church Street [1617, out of Stepney 1694] gutted in
WW2, tower remains,small church built in ruins, parish united to St.
Peter, London Docks.
WHITECHAPEL, St. Mary, (St. Mary Matfelon)Whitechapel Road [out of
Stepney in 1323] bombed, WW2, not rebuilt. 1951 parish divided between
Spitalfields Christ Church with All Saints and Stepney St. Augustine
- Whitechapel, St. Jude, Commercial Street  1923 parish united to
St. Mary Whitechapel. Church now gone???
- Whitechapel, St. Mark Goodman Fields, St. Mark's Street  1926
Closed and Parish united to Whitechapel St. Paul Dock Street. Church now
- Whitechapel, St. Paul, Dock Street  closed 1990. Parish united
to St. George-in-the-East.
OTHER INSTITUTIONS WITH ANGLICAN CHAPELS/CHAPLAINS:
- London Hospital,Whitechapel ;
- Bethnal Green Workhouse ;
- Whitechapel Workhouse and Infirmary ;
- Operative Jewish Converts' Institution ;
- Oxford House.
- City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery [do not confuse with the
London Cemetery at Ilford] ;
- Mile End Workhouse, Infirmary and School ;
- Poplar Union ;
- Stepney Union ;
- St. George's-in-the-East Workhouse, Infirmary and Schools ;
- Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum ;
- City of London Union, Bow Road ;
- Church Workers' Training Home.
The link from each parent parish leads to a GENUKI page with an 1868
Gazetteer description of the area, and link to a modern map for that
location. For old maps, on-line or printed, see street and map sites list
On our page of Middlesex maps there is a
section for maps recommended by John
Henley for use with his lists of churches
Report problems, or contribute information.
[Created 2003 by David Hawgood from information supplied by John Henley.
Last updated 31 Aug 2013 by Andrew Millard.]
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see
About GENUKI as an