Stoke Newington churches are included in our list for Hackney
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"STOKE NEWINGTON, a parish, and extensive suburban district of the metropolis, in the Finsbury division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 3 miles N. by E. of St. Paul's, and 3 N. of Shoreditch church. At Newington-road is a station on the North London railway. The village, which is of considerable antiquity, being mentioned in Domesday Survey, is no longer confined to its own parish of St. Mary, but extends into the adjoining parishes of West Hackney, Hornsey, and Islington. " (There is more of this description).
"PARADISE, a seat in the parish of Stoke Newington, hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 3 miles N. by E. of St. Paul's. It is situated near the New River, in the borough of Finsbury, and long belonged to the Crawshays.
[Paradise Road on a map of 1888 becomes Collins Road on a 2003 map; Paradise Row on 1888 map is part of Stoke Newington Church Street on 2003 map; the adjacent park was Newington Park in 1888, and is Clissold Park in 2003.]"
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Stoke Newington and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation