Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"SUNBURY, a parish and post town in the hundred of Spelthorne, county Middlesex, 3 miles from Hampton Court railway station, and 4 W. of Kingston. It is a station on the Thames Valley branch of the London and South-Western railway. It is situated on the banks of the Thames, and near the third lock from London. There are many seats in the neighbourhood. The village is lighted with gas, from works of recent formation. It is a police station of the V division. It is mentioned in Domesday Book as Suneberie, and gave title of viscount to the Montagues. The parish contains the hamlets of Charlton and Upper Halliford. " (There is more of this description).
"CHARLTON, a hamlet in the parish of Sunbury, in the county of Middlesex, 3 miles S.E. of Staines."
"UPPER HALLIFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Sunbury, county Middlesex, 1½ mile N.W. of Chertsey.
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Sunbury and places within its boundaries.
Sunbury and Shepperton Local History Society - they have available twenty publications on the history of Sunbury and Shepperton.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation