The Tower of London was extra-parochial, and had associated with it several other extra-parochial areas known collectively as the Precincts of the Tower. These included The Old Artillery Ground, the Precinct of Old Tower, the Liberty of the Tower, the Liberty of Wellclose, and Holy Trinity Minories.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"TOWER-OF-LONDON, an extra parochial liberty in the Tower division of Ossulstone hundred, county Middlesex. It comprises the Tower and part of the north-eastern suburbs of the metropolis, and is included in the metropolitan borough of the Tower Hamlets. [See article London.] [The Chapel Royal in the Tower of London is St Peter ad Vincula.]
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of the Tower of London.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation