Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"TWICKENHAM, a parish and suburb of the metropolis in the S.W. postal district, hundred of Isleworth, county Middlesex, 1 mile W. of Richmond, 3 miles S.W. of Brentford, and 9 S.W. of St. Paul's Cathedral. " (There is more of this description).
"STRAWBERRY HILL, a seat of Earl Waldegrave on the Thames, in the parish of Twickenham, county Middlesex, 2 miles N.W. of Kingston. It was rebuilt by Horace Walpole, whose collection of pictures, statues, bronzes, &c., was dispersed by auction in 1848."
"WHITTON, a village and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Twickenham, hundred of Isleworth, county Middlesex, 2 miles S. of Hounslow, and 10 W. of London. It has a joint station with Hounslow on the loop line of the London and South-Western railway. It is a suburb of the metropolis in the western postal district, containing about 800 inhabitants. A district church has recently been erected. The principal residences are Whitton Park, formerly the residence of Sir W. Chambers, on the borders of Hounslow Heath, adorned with cedars, planted in 1725 by Archibald, third Duke of Argyle; and Kneller Hall, with its ceilings by Laguerre, and its grounds, comprising 200 acres, late the residence of Sir G. Kneller and the Calvert family, but now occupied as a military music college for the complete training of the musicians and bandmasters of the several regiments by whom it is supported."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Twickenham and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation