Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"TWYFORD ABBEY, hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 7 miles N.W. of St. Paul's, London, and 2 from Acton. It is situated near the viaduct of the London and North Western railway, on the Paddington Canal and the river Brent. It is mentioned in Domesday Book as Tveverde, and was then held by St. Paul's Cathedral, but came to William de Cranford in 1114, and subsequently to the Philpots, Cholmeleys, and Willian, who rebuilt the abbey on the old site. Attached to the abbey is a private chapel with tombs of the Moyles, and Bold, the poet."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Twyford Abbey and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation