Our list giving location and history of Stepney deanery churches includes those in this parish.
Civil registration records for Wapping parish are now held by Tower Hamlets Register Office, who are developing an index to the records.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"WAPPING, a parish and metropolitan district in the Tower division of Ossulstone hundred, county Middlesex, 2 miles S.E. of St. Paul's, London. It is a suburb of East London, situated on the river Thames, by which it was overflowed till Elizabeth's reign, when a river wall was constructed. The land subsequently became meadow ground, called Wapping Wash, and formed part of Stepney parish till about 1695. The parish comprises about 38 acres, inclusive of the main entrance to the London Docks, constructed between the years 1802 and 1805. " (There is more of this description).
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Wapping, 1600-1800 A social history of an early-modern London maritime suburb by Derek Morris and Ken Cozens (East London History Society, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9506258-9-8).
Links to maps of Wapping and places within its boundaries.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation