Parishes in this Rural Deanery in 1903
Anglican churches in Westminster in 1890/1905 - we have a list prepared by John Henley. It has some information on records, whether churches are still open, and where they are. The ancient parishes in Westminster were split into many smaller ones as London grew.
Contact details for churches now are on the Diocese of London church finder or their list for Westminster (St Margaret) Deanery which give addresses, email and phone numbers.
We have an outline map of parishes showing boundaries, and location of parish churches.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"WESTMINSTER, comprising the parishes of St. Margaret and St. John, it is a city and metropolitan borough locally in the Kensington division of Ossulstone hundred, county Middlesex, about 1½ mile S.W. of St. Paul's cathedral. It is a place of great antiquity, having been, as is said, the site of a temple to Apollo in the Roman times; but the present city dates from the beginning of the 7th century, when Sebert, king of the East Saxons, erected the Abbey church on Thorney Island, then a marshy spot, almost surrounded by water, and named it "West Mynstre," in contradistinction to the East Minster, or St. Paul's, which had been previously founded by Ethelbert. The city of Westminster, as it is correctly called, by reason of its containing the abbey, which is a cathedral church, includes the whole of the court portion of the metropolis, extending along the N. bank of the Thames for about 3½ miles-viz:, from Temple Bar in the E. to beyond Kensington Palace in the W., and has a varying breadth of from half a mile to 2 miles. Its boundaries are the city of London proper on the E. and N.E., the Thames on the S. and S.E., Oxford Street on the N., and an irregular line on the W., running from Kensington gardens towards Chelsea Hospital. " (There is more of this description).
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
Links to maps of Westminster and places within its boundaries.
Marina Garrison has transcribed the Westminster Poll Book of 1749, compiled in November and December of that year and containing 9300 voters' names, streets and parishes. (Link broken so see the copy on the Wayback Machine.)
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Originally created by David Hawgood. Last updated 18 Jun 2011 by Andrew Millard]
© GENUKI. GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI, see About GENUKI as an organisation